Thread: 3800/ 355 Replica exhaust

3800/ 355 Replica exhaust

I have a NA Series II 3800 in a Fiero based 355. I am wondering what others have done in the way of a performance exhaust system? I was thinking of ordering the WCF Ceramic coated headers and 2.5 or 3" CAT back with a Spintech muffler. Before I do that I just wondered if anyone could tell me what they did and if they were satisfied with the results? Take care. Bill

Re: 3800/ 355 Replica exhaust

Hey Bill, I am currently going through this process right now. I purchased a Ferrari 355 Spyder exhaust from e-bay.. which I was going to use. Turns out, it was too large to use in the rear small space without tearing the rear trunk completely out. Not only that, but the muffler was really heavy too!

I am working with Loyde@ Fast Fieros in Dallas. He really is the expert on the 3800 engine conversion for the fiero. (www.Fastfieros.com) Most everyone should agree on that.

Loyde recommended using a Flowmaster 80 Series with mandrell bends with flex joint exhaust. I had previously looked at WCF's exhaust, but they are really very expensive for what you get! Loyde told told me adding headers to the stock engine, didn't change the performance very much. It didn't really pay! I agreed to use the stock manifold and have them Jet Hot Coated, which will look better in the engine compartment than just the factory steel manifold which rusts.

If you are really set on using headers, Tog (The other guys) headers or SLP Headers...are both made specifically for the 3800 engine. Go to www.3800performance.com to check them out. Also, depending on which state you live in and your states motor vehicle inspection laws....you may want to totally eliminate the Cat all together.

Good luck and Hope this helps.
    -Rob

Just to give an idea of sound from a 3800SC, here is what I used,
    http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=625
    A video featuring the sound can be heard here,
    http://stweb.peel.edu.on.ca/sssweb/T...os/1300kms.wmv
    Right Click and "save as" if it does not open.
    The exhaust system does not have cats. I blocked off the rear center exhaust port on the cast manifold and split the rear engine crossover to create dual exhaust.
    I am pleased with the sound and from inside the car I can hear the supercharger whine too.

Cheers
    Jim

thats a nice roadster, what kit is that?

if you need a custom exahust, my friend's brother works at Borla and can get you a custom exhaust for relatively cheap ($300 to $500 last i heard). they recently did the new saleen mustang and other pretty cool cars so they do quality work. their shop is pretty damn big too, lots of nice machinery ;D
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Here's mine. It's a 2.5" stainless exuast using a Flowmaster muffler. I bought the flex pipe on Ebay. Very nice piece. All the tubing and cast aluninum tips were salvaged from a 4'th gen Firebird (SLP). This configuration does require the removal of the bottom of the trunk.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

I used similar configuration for my exhaust with the exception of moving the exhaust exit to the center of the car. The Flow Master muffler is fine for the job. I did not use a cat only the muffler. It is a bit on the loud side but does the job with style.

Here are a few reference photos for you.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I went thru this on my 88 Mera with the 2.8. First my engine was stock and later I installed the Stage II turbo. The best sound (in my opinion) is achieved by having a converter or small muffler then dual short resonator tips. The resonator tips give you that snap sound and make it sound what you may think a real Ferrari would sound like. It may not sound like a real Ferrari but I have had many people say it sounds like they would think a real Ferrari would sound. They all have told me the sound was very nice.

Next year I'm looking to buy a 348. We'll see what the exhaust sound really is.

Sorry - my 88 Mera will not be for sale. I have had it 13+ years and hope to have it for a long time yet.

http://www.rodneydickman.com/Mera/mera_pics.html

Thanks Rodney, you just sent some struts to Ed Parks for my 308. Also thanks guys for all the various ideas, I still haven't decided what I am going to do. Today the (355 replica) car is at my shop getting a look over to remove the 3800NA and replace it with a 3800SC.
    Take care. Bill