Thread: Tell me about your nose, Ari...

Tell me about your nose, Ari...

Can you give me a general overview on how you built and set in the nose extension for the front clip support? I am especially interested in the procedure for moving the headlamps and the basic structure used. Of course, a design schematic would be cool

Thanks and GREAT FORUM!!! It has been much needed!

DKOV -
    322HP 3.4L TDC F355 Berlinetta

Re: Tell me about your nose, Ari...

Dkov, I'll go outside later today to grab you some good pictures / diagrams of the nose support. I paid somebody to weld up the nose support for me, which he did incorrectly, so my nose sits about 1" lower then it should (This results in the hood not sitting properly) - so make sure to use weld clamps or something similar to hold all the metal in place properly before you do the welding, fit the nose piece WITH hood, then if everything sits the way it should do your welding. In terms of the headlights I haven't installed them yet (They're gona be a bit*h), but will try to get you info on them.
    Ari

I was thinking of doing mine with a bolt-in design. One that I could completely remove if needed. For that, I was thinking of welding a flat flange onto the cut rail, then an opposing flange, perhaps with guide pins, onto the nose frame. Then just bolt it in.

Of course, the point of such designs in race cars, is to generate access to the engine... which is in the BACK, so what real benefit would this type of design generate? I'm not sure...

Anyway, due to the complete INcompleteness of every 355 kit out there... we are left with our own imaginations to complete some of these steps. Of course, helping each other out sure makes things easier!

I'm seeing from your pictures that you have an IFG/Warlock/Perry/Lucas/ blah blah blah... kit. My kit is a Mirage 355. As such, I do not have a one piece front clip. Making the frame for the front end of my car may need to be done a bit differently since my front end consists of 7 pieces where yours is 4. That aside, I would think that the process is very similar in the least.

Thanks for the pics, I appreciate your valuable time!

DKOV -

You got a Mirage? Wow! The Rolls-royce of 4Re Kit Cars!
    I've been trying to convince someone else who has a mirage to come onto this board but he hasn't shown yet - how much $$$ did your kit cost you? I hear they have near-perfect fits (If yours is a good splash, that is) - Any pics?

Yeah, I got the Mirage. After all that searching and praying I found the Holy Grail of 355 kits. I know how lucky I am and I say that with ALL humility.

The kit is exceptional. Fit and finish, workmanship and pure attention to structural/dimensional detail. All I can say is "WOW".

I've heard of these kits going for 15K at times, although I didn't pay quite that much. Ten grand isn't bad for this kind of work though. Then, of course, with the PERFECT kit one must spend the time and money to get everything ELSE right as well...

So a full compliment of factory lights and lenses, badging and wheels went into the project. Other interesting items I aquired for the project are a full Ferrari 355 interior (not some cheap knockoff), Factory Owners Manual and Service Noted manual, Ferrari car cover and a complete set of factory EPA decals, aluminum VIN decals and even a Ferrari Owners Club windsheild decal.

As for the donor, it started life as an 88GT that I raced the past two seasons. I dropped te 2.8 and added a 3.4L TDC that has been tuned to 322.8 HP mated to a Getrag 284 5-speed tranny. The suspension is a tubular wide track Held Motorsports slolam tuned Koni coil-over that has a 1.5 inch drop built in. The 17 inch rims are wrapped in Yokohama AVS Sport racing tires and are backed by a HUGE set of 13 inch Gold Zinc Plated cross-drilled/Vented competition rotors with Wilwood 4-pot Calipers. The braking system is supported by an oversized race resevoir complete with Bais/proportioning valve.

I have yet to decide on Interior options like Stereo, Alarm, radar detector, etc... I've got time for that.

All in all, a VERY comprehensive project I'd say. If the kit was an IFG, I may not have put this much "extra" into it, but since the body is virtually identical in every way to the original, I want to make it as hard to detect as possible! The car even SOUNDS right!

I do have some pics of the kit components laid out, but I have to locate them. My 2-year old obsconded with the Zip-Lock bag that had them inside. Tracking them down shouldn't be TOO difficult

I'll post 'em up here in the next day or so. If you get your friend with the Mirage to post any pics, I certainly like to see them!

I look forward to them and to speaking with you again soon.

DKOV -

The 17 inch rims are wrapped in Yokohama AVS Sport racing tires and are backed by a HUGE set of 13 inch Gold Zinc Plated cross-drilled/Vented competition rotors with Wilwood 4-pot Calipers. *The braking system is supported by an oversized race resevoir complete with Bais/proportioning valve.
    Just wait till you get those brakes installed! They are more then enough for the car. I have those on my Fiero, they rock!. Although word of advice, take the rotors in and have them turned before installing and driving on them.

Why have them turned? I personally like the look of the gold edges with the silver area where the pads run, then the gold inner area. If I even truned them, they would be ALL silver.

Did your rotors not come trued? Were they out-of-round and did your brakes pulse?

Inquiring minds want to know

DKOV -

Why have them turned? *I personally like the look of the gold edges with the silver area where the pads run, then the gold inner area. *If I even truned them, they would be ALL silver.

Did your rotors not come trued? *Were they out-of-round and did your brakes pulse?

Inquiring minds want to know

DKOV -
    Yes, all to the above. Besides, the gold will be worn off them in a matter of uses anyway. Mike Smith (my friend) had the same problem with his 12" brakes way back when he first put them on (he suggested the same thing to me when I got my 13"). I didn't really take his suggestion to heart until I installed them. If I would have not had them turned before running on them, I could have done some severe damage. It certainly would have shortened the life of the pads if not caused a complete brake failure.

I only got them turned so the brake surface was even. I didn't get them rounded (although on a couple I probably should have). The inner part is still gold as is the edge.

Here are the pictures of the front clip support:

Ari:

The first time My son and I built our Mirage kit we cut off the front frame rails and used 2 x 4 x 28 inch steel to mount the front end. *We cut off the frame including the supports for the radiator and AC condenser. *Then we mounted all of the supports to the frame rails. *Battery, headlights, front fiberglass support was a piece of 1 1/2 inch angle iron. *Worked out pretty well. Hope this helps.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.