Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with new project

Need help with new project

Hello Everyone, I’d first like to say I am extremely impressed on everyone here, I have been to other forums and have never seen so many people genuinely helpful.

On to my question, I am a newbee to the world of kit cars and looking to start a project, I do not want to do it from scratch but more a kit. But I want it to be very passable. I have spent hours here reading your forums, but it is impossible to read all of them. I need your help so I can stop dreaming of doing a project and just doing it. Where and how do I start?

This is what I am working with:
    • 10K for a kit and donor, I will be eventually spending allot more money on the extras but this is my starting money.
    • It is a father and son project he is 60 and I am 30 and we are more back yard mechanics we have built a couple of off-road trucks and street rods, but not experts. Due to my fathers age and health this will be our last project car and I want it to be something I will keep forever and pass to my children someday.
    • I have a completely empty 2 car garage to work in and have pretty much any tool possible.

This is what I would like to have:
    • Murcielago or the Ferrari 360
    • As passable as possible
    • Wide rear tires, I want it to look real
    • A V8 motor but I don’t think I can do that in California.

My questions
    • Where do I find a kit?
    • How hard is it to build a kit? The more I read the harder it seems.
    • Where do I find a stretched Donor car? One that will do it right.
    • Are there good videos that teach you how to build a kit?

Thanks for all your help and I will be on here everyday for the next couple of years or until it is complete lol.
    Eric

Re: Need help with new project

If you want something thats is preatty easy to build and to getting to look autentic, then i would say that you mabye should go whit the extreme 355, its build on an toyota mr2, and looks really good, i will start to build one of these this summer, as soon as my miata is sold. Its almost "only" bolt and glue on after you strip the body for the mr2 panels, only very little welding and cutting to be done.

Best regards, brian from denmark.

Thanks Brian i will keep in mind, but i want to do something different.

To my knowledge, there is no accurate Murcielago kit out YET... but they are in the works. 360 Kits are coming out now as well, but I don't remember any of them having a car that was cheap (like the fiero) for the donor. I could be wrong.

10K MAY be a problem... I haven't heard all the final kit prices yet, but hopefully someone with more info will chime in here. I think if you can find one to use the Fiero, you may be in luck. I know the newer, more expensive donors have great benefits, but I sure feel better chopping up a cheap car, than something $5000 or more. HOWEVER, if I had the money, I'd definitely put the money out for a better donor, just to get a more modern, reliable, and comfortable driving car.

I realize I provided absolutely NO useful information here... sorry.

Ken

maybe not muc information but you sure provided advice, and i agree. i say with a couple months and see where the 360 projects end up. rushing out to buy any kit is a bad idea, and it WILL be the basis you are building on, so don't go cheap or impatient.

if you get a sloppy or bad kit (nomatter what it is) your kids will probably be 30 themselves by the time the body work is done
    on a more serious note, making a body good from a sloppy start takes months and months, so a 1 year project will turn into 3 really easily. building up a kit car should take about 3 month for the body and interior, but this often gets stretched out to a year or more due to originally poorly made panels.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Thanks for getting back to me Wraith/Automax, I actually wanted to do a tube chasse, but I heard those can be really expensive. But none the less thanks for you help.

Other then the popular 355 and Diablo is there other kits you would recommend? Have you guys been to the knots kit kar show? I have decided to wait until then before I pick up a kit. Is there a reputable place to get a tube from? And what should I buy first the kit or the donor? Sorry for all the first time questions.

That sounds familiar. I was going to build a 355 on a stretched Fiero for what I thought would be about $10K. About $50K later with about another $10 to $15K left to go I'm still working at it. Mind you the only thing left of the Fiero is the tranny and the doors and maybe a few other small parts. Once you get into it it's hard to back off. It can always be better. If I were to do it again I'd probably pick a car that came out the year your dad was born or maybe his first car and restore that. I think that would be more meaningful to your kids.

If all else fails there is always the tried and tested Cobra. A tube frame for a Diablo I know goes for around $12 to $15K. Also I would sit back and see what John Watson's 350-cor turns out like. I saw his preliminary work and I think it may turn out nice. That you may be able to build for under $25K if you don't modify the Fiero chassis too much.

Paul

You will find nothing of interest at the KNOTTS show, unless you want a selection of about 100 different cobra manufactures, or a 356/speecster. I saw only 1 crappy F40, diablos, and a nice ferrari daytona last year. Nothing of interest to me, I wasted a perfectly good round trip ticket, and could have been used to go somewhere interesting, like may a tour of a GM manufacturing plant. Definately count the Knotts show out, and try Carlisle PA.

Thanks for the inside on knotts, do you know of any other shows on the west coast? im in Orange county california.

Hey Paul,
    You made some good points about going old school, we had talked about that but since we have already gone that route we want to do something new. the 10 K is just starting money, i can see that it will easy get up to 40 K which i don't mind but its hard emotionally to just fork out that much at once.
    We are very lucky to have family that is in the paint/body and upholestery so we will be able to cut allot of cost as well as have help.

thanks again
    Eric