Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V8 or SUPERCHARGED 3.8L V6?

V8 or SUPERCHARGED 3.8L V6?

First off, Would it be easier to bolt up to a 1986 Fiero? A SBC350, Northstar, or 3.8L SUPERCHARGED V6. What would you guys recomend? Which one would be easier and (or) cheeper to install? I have heard the 3800's bolt up VERY easiely. Also, What transmission to use? We can get a stock tranny for the 3800 easiely. Would that work or should we bolt it up to his STOCK 5 speed? I have heard about Porsche tranny's too, Which one does he need? Any advice is appreciated! -Paul

Re: V8 or SUPERCHARGED 3.8L V6?

According to V8 Archie: both Engines can use the stock Fiero Getrag 5 speed. (Albeit with a high performance clutch).

The cost for having a V8 installed (dependant on cost of Engine (I priced an LT1 here for $2100) + Installation kit ($ 3500 dependant on Auto or Stick tranny) + Labor..(& about $5,000 to $7,000 if you can find a reputable shop to install it

The 3.8 V6 prices are quite similar.

You could do it yourself, of course, but (of course) make sure you know what you are getting into, or you will have a big expensive pile of parts, that won't go anywhere for a long time! Lol.

Visit: V8Archie.com, for 350/LT1 info, and ACE engine Conversions for more detailed info on 3.8SC, Northstar, ect.

Hope this helped!

Steve
    87 3.1Turbo GT Spyder

I would stick with 3800SC motor. you can get that car to run pretty quick as is, great gas mileage fun to drive around. If it is not fast enough, try a diferrent pulley for the SC,chip or turbo charging, add an IC, alcohol injection, etc.(these are all bolton items) there are lots of options. The key is to make sure you use a SC 3800 motor so that you will have stronger internals for future tweaking ;D

Good luck

Prasad

I have a 3800 normally aspirated with a 5-speed. It went into the car fairly easy. The bolts up to the transaxle. You will need to purchase a flywheel from a front wheel drive Grand Am but all else is good to go.

My 3800 hauls butt and gets great gas mileage. I feel it is one of the best kept secrets out there. I figure I get in excess of 30 MPG if I drive it easy.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I have most combinations and the easiest conversion is the 4.9 Caddy. The hardest installation by far is the Northstar. The engine cradle requires extensive modifications with the N*. Now the 3800SCII's that I have, seem like middle of the road as far as difficulty, however they make gobs of power with loads of aftermarket parts available for them. The 2 cars with 3800SCII's are the fast one's in the group and I love the supercharger whine!

I just saw an ad for a Crossfire with a supercharged 3.2 ohc that has 330hp. Does that sound right? What's the output of the latest 3800sc?

Depending on the engine your useing you may need an adaptor plate for the tranny.I used the stock 3.8 SC and stock 3.8 SC tranny (auto).Waiting for installation.Becaues this car could be registered in california as smog exempt (a kit car or speciality car)The skys the limit,that means twin turboes and nitrous oxide with a potential of 500+ HP.But I dont need that much HP so Im staying with stock HP.Just cruising and enjoying life.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Try this link for HP rateing (not all these engines on this link will work.But it will give you the HP for some motors).
    http://dtcc.cz28.com/gminfo.htm
    http://home.earthlink.net/~david.cole/fieroman/swap.htm
    Heres a good one.
    http://members.ispwest.com/newmdav/new_page_1.htm
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/057075.html
    (Page 2 if you missed it.)
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/057075-2.html
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Amida
    I just saw an ad for a Crossfire with a supercharged 3.2 ohc that has 330hp. Does that sound right? What's the output of the latest 3800sc?
    The new factory 3800 crank out 260 HP. That's the way I'm going to go. Check this out! I got this off ebay! Now were talking power! The guy had a Countach for sale and this was the set up he used.

THE MOTOR IS A 1987 3.8 GRAND NATIONAL WITH AN UPGRADED TURBO, 42# INJECTORS,CUSTOM 3" WRAPPED EXHAUST,4 COOLING FANS,AND A NEW COMPUTER, ALL PRODUCING 500 HORSEPOWER !!!!!!!!!!!!! IT HAS VIPER ROTORS AND DISCS, WITH THE ORIGINAL 345/35/15 TIRES IN THE REAR.........

THE TURBO TUNE UP WAS DONE BY 'SOUTHEAST TURBO PERFORMANCE' ,ONE OF THE MOST REPUTABLE SHOPS IN THE COUNTRY, AS FAR AS GRAND NATIONALS ARE CONCERNED. PH.#770-443-7494.

IF YOU DESIRE 600, 700, OR EVEN 1000 H.P.

IT HAS AN OLDSMOBILE TH 325, 4 SPEED AUTO.I HAVE BEEN TOLD THIS ENGINE'S TORQUE WOULD BE TOO MUCH FOR A FIERO SET-UP.

So the thread name is V8 or SUPERCHARGED 3.8L V6?
    You need to ask yourself a few questions first.
    1) Do you want to drive your car?
    2) Do you want it to sound like a NASCAR?
    3) Do you want AC, power steering, alternator, water pump or other crazy things that are belt driven?
    4) Do you want cats and mufflers in the same exhaust system?
    5) Do you want your engine to stay in the chassis?

If your answer to #1 is yes - Answer 3800SC - I base my answer only on personal experience. The V-8's I have seen usually run about one hour tops before something makes you turn it off. Honestly it is less than one hour and more like 15 minutes.

Answer #2 - Your preference.
    Answer #3 - Can't be done with a V8 Archie kit. If you have made it work then I applaud you. The whole cutting of the balancer idea is worse than cutting the frame so you can run a real belt. If you can make your alternator belt run your alternator with a V8Archie kit then you must have the belt so tight that the crank bearings are burning up.
    Answer #4 - Some are happy with just cats and some are happy with just mufflers. It is really hard to install both in the same system with a V-8.
    Answer #5 - I hope is yes. The V-8 does not have a dogbone setup and it NEEDS one if you install it. The 3800SC comes with provisions for the dogbone already. Ask me how many times I have extracted broken V-8 motor mount bolts in a Fiero, ask me how many times I have welded transmission mounts in a V-8 Fiero.

This is just my opinion based on real life repairs and experiences. I have been a licensed mechanic since 1980 and I would never install a V-8 into a Fiero unless I was to drag it in 1/4 mile only, that way it will only need to run for about one minute and a cooling system does not need to be a priority. I would however, install a 3800Sc into a Fiero. The 3800SC is capable of making more HP than a V-8 and it is 200lbs less.

Jim