Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for 308/328 guys, Sail Pannel Lock Question

Question for 308/328 guys, Sail Pannel Lock Question

Just a quick question.

On the real 308 GTS's they have a lock on the very back of the sail pannel I know at least on the driver's side (gas cap is behind the sail pannel which opens up) and possibly on the passenger side pannel. I've seen one 328 replica that had "fake locks" on the sail pannels. It's basically just a round key hole.

Any ideas on how to add these to my Mera? I think it would be a nice finishing touch.

BTW, when I was at the gas station last night I saw a black 355 being brought in by rollback. No damage. So, I talked to the driver of the rollback....he said it was a repossesion. Makes me feel good I only paid 1/10th of what his car cost.....and it's still in my garage ;D
    &quot;Nice car; what&#039;s the retail on one of those?&quot;.....<br />&quot;More then you can afford Pal.......Ferrari&quot;<br />&quot;Smoke Em&quot;

Re: Question for 308/328 guys, Sail Pannel Lock Question

I've been thinking of adding the "lock" to my 308 replica.

I've looked at the real ones and there is'nt really much to them.* I actually was going to machine a peice of billet aluminum to the diameter a little smaller than a quarter or so.

Beleive it or not, I saw a dresser when we were shopping for bedroom furniture and it had these "accents" on it that looked like large flathead screw heads.* They may have actually worked!

I have'nt been able to find originals or repro's but I was also going to check to see if the real ones or repro locks are available.

The side vents are one of the things that I dislike most about my 308,* I've bid a few times on originals on Ebay to see if they (or the car) could be modified so they could be used.* Mine is a GTB so I've also toyed with the idea of clear windows and just the small portion of the vents like the original GTB's.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

This type of lock is called a CAM LOCK. They are available online, at a locksmith shop and also I have seen them at Lowes or Home Depot.

A thing to be concerned about is that the Home Depot version is made for a desk drawer or cabinet so it would likely rust if used outdoors on an automoblie.

It would suggest finding a stainless steel version for this application.
    They are available in various lengths and attach with a nut. There is also a version like what comes as
    original equipment on cars from the 70s and 80s that use a spring clip to hold them to the door skin.

I would check ebay as this type of lock is used on arcade games also. www.happcontrols.com sells game parts and has a good selection of cam locks in various lengths.

I have an AF 308 GT kit and have considered doing this to my sail panels (vent windows) but havent gotten to that part of the project yet.

I would say ebay would be the best place to look as Happ Controls requires having an account.

Try Autozone etc .as I have seen keyed-alike door lock sets (cam locks) in the neighboor hood of $12 to $30 range. These auto locks have the advantage of having a little flap door that covers the lock hole to keep water out.

Hope this helps,
    Marty
    MR308

Quote Originally Posted by kit4me
    I've been thinking of adding the "lock" to my 308 replica.

I've looked at the real ones and there is'nt really much to them.* I actually was going to machine a peice of billet aluminum to the diameter a little smaller than a quarter or so.

Beleive it or not, I saw a dresser when we were shopping for bedroom furniture and it had these "accents" on it that looked like large flathead screw heads.* They may have actually worked!

I have'nt been able to find originals or repro's but I was also going to check to see if the real ones or repro locks are available.

The side vents are one of the things that I dislike most about my 308,* I've bid a few times on originals on Ebay to see if they (or the car) could be modified so they could be used.* Mine is a GTB so I've also toyed with the idea of clear windows and just the small portion of the vents like the original GTB's.

You bring up a good point which will lead to my other question. Like you I also have a GTB which should not have full side vents but it does. Does anyone make 1/4 sail pannels for a replica GTB? Maybe Fiberfab, I'll email him and ask. If anyone has any leads on these or where I miight find them please let me know. Thank in advance.
    &quot;Nice car; what&#039;s the retail on one of those?&quot;.....<br />&quot;More then you can afford Pal.......Ferrari&quot;<br />&quot;Smoke Em&quot;

oops, somehow my quote and question ran into 1

I'll check into the camlocks. I think that they would add a nice finishing touch. Also does anyone know of a place to get GTB style sail pannels. Only the GTS 308 had full sail pannels where the GTB's had like 1/4 sail pannels with a window. Speaking of windows, what's behind the sail pannel on a Mera? Is there a window there or would one have to be added. I would go look but my car is in storage for the winter.

There should be no window on the MERA under the sail panels. On the real 308's (with windows or with the vents), the "larger portion" of the side glass or sail panel (part closer to the door glass) actually "looks into" the interior of the car. On the Mera and other 308 replicas, adding a window instead of the sail Panel will require you to modify the fiberglass just behind the rear window as well. (If you want to see through it like an original 308). As an option, I guess you could possibly tint the window so you don't see the fiberglass behind it.

Since that portion of the Mera and the replicas are'nt that accurate, adding windows or original vents that can be "seen through", you will be looking through the area behind the rear window on the outside of the car instead of looking at the interior as you would on a real 308. The real 308's have a larger area behind the driver and passenger seats and a slightly larger interior.

On mine, (if I add the windows), I'm going to modify the fiberglass behind the rear window for a little better visibility. I doubt anyone would really pick up on it. I also think that the proper side windows / sail panels would look more realistic.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

I added the fake locks to my sail side louvers on my 88 Mera. I was in the junk yard and found smaller Toyota cars had a locking gas lid. I grabbed 2 of the lock assemblies and used a hack saw and cut them off flush to the head. I then glued the head and gasket to the louver in the correct spot. If anyone asks about them I just tell them the key is in my tool box in the trunk and I'm not getting it out just to open them up.

So the locks look correct but do not work.

Rodney Dickman

Lets see if this works.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Rodney

Looks good, I'll have to look into that.

Is there a window behind the sail pannel or no?

There is nothing good to look at under the louvers. Possible it could be cleaned up. Not worth it in my opinion.