Thread: Change Auto to manual

Change Auto to manual

I was wondering how much of a project it would be ..
    I have heard of it being done and I have a complete 84 car with 2.5L 4sp manual and purchased a 87 2.5L auto car with a 328 kit on it..
    Any Ideas????

Thanks

Re: Change Auto to manual

If you've done that kind of work before, It's no harder than anything else. I'm doing one now. 87 Getrag 5-speed into a 1985 2.5 Auto Car that is also getting a SBC Chevy Engine,. (For me . . I personally would'nt do a 2.5 auto to 2.5 manual. It's Quite a little project and I know I would never be happy with the 2.5 or 2.8 in the replica. That's just me...)

You'll need the obvious like the clutch pedals, shifter assembly and cables, clutch master cylinder and Slave cylinder. Clutch hydraulic line etc. You'll have to do some minor wiring for the neutral safety switch etc. (You need the clutch pushed in to start the car on the manuals while the autos have to be in Park or neutral. You'll at least have to plug the oil cooler lines in your radiator or replace the radiator. (I'm replacing mine because I'm putting the SBC in my 308.

You may also want to buy replacement shift and slect cables for the trans. (The heat really kills the original ones). You may also want to hang on to the ECM just incase since you have a complete donor.

I'm sure there a few "nuts and bolts" items that I did'nt mention but I would make sure you take everything you need befroe scrapping the car.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

..Thanks
    Sounds like it might be more work than worth..Maybe if I were doing the V8 swap but Im not :'(

I would like to buy 1 of your running tech 4 engines if 1 of you are selling.
    Anthony (BLACKMASK) Coleman<br /><br />Producer, Songwriter, Manager

I'm actually selling my 77,000 mile Duke as soon as I pull it out in a few weeks. I'm in PA. Looking for $175. Not sure where you were.
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Kit 4 me how well does the engine run? Also does it have everything on it? If everything is good I'll take it. Call me (305) 307-6048 Tony. I'm in West Palm Beach Florida, 33409. I will be in New Castle, Pa in 2 or 3 weeks. How far from you is that? Thanks
    Anthony (BLACKMASK) Coleman<br /><br />Producer, Songwriter, Manager

Hi,

2 weeks may be a bit close but I may have it out in 3 if I don't get too swamped at work. (2 may be possible if I have a good "free week" this week.

As far as condition, I'd drive the car cross country without hesitation. The car has 77K and was very well taken care of by the previous owner and myself as well. Good oil pressure, temp is perfect etc. Always garaged and babied. I can get some video of it running etc.

Everything is 100% complete except the A/C compressor (which I'm leaving connected and using on the SBC) and the ECM which will stay with the car but I'm guessing you have your original ECM. There will be no cut wires or "hacked up things".

I'm just finishing up with the 87 GT. (Removing the Getrag for the engine / trans swap in the 308). Nothing like doing a SBC and Auto to Manual swap at the same time...

I'll give you a call.

I'm in Bucks County PA - Newtown is one of the major areas. I can look on the map for New Castle.