Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiero frame jig for stretching

Fiero frame jig for stretching

Does anyone know if a design/plan exists for building a frame jig for stretching the Fiero chassis? Are there factory reference points in the Fiero frame/floor pan that are squared & true? Rob

Re: Fiero frame jig for stretching

I remember reading that article in the magazine, and being really irritated! They don't so much stretch the fiero as they cut the back half off and fabricated a new one on their own custom jig. It was cool to see the article, but no shade-tree-mechanic is going to have the resources for that :-\

Try and find a copy of Kit Car Builder's Nov/Dec 2005 issue. There they have a decent article on how to stretch a fiero. They started with stretching only the engine cradle, making a pretty simple jig out of a few 2x4's if I remember correctly, then cutting the car and using the cradle like a jig for the rest of the swap. To be honest, it seemed a bit unconventional, but looks like it would work.

The way I did mine was by getting 6 screw type jacks (not the hydraulic ones). I made the car level in regard to the front radiator support, the steel frame along the lower part of the rear window, and the rocker panels. The upper frame rails seemed to be level, though they begin to slope downward as they go back. I cut the car in about the center of the part that seemed to be level (about 3-4inches back from the rear window), and tried to make both halves level when the extra steel was added in.

The real trick to it all is taking lots of measurements before you cut, before you begin to weld, after you've tacked things together, and after things have been welded. Remember the old saying, measure twice, cut once, only this time, measure 15 times, cut, measure 15 times again, weld, etc. Don't forget to measure diagonally as well, say from the driver's side upper frame rail where it meets the window, across the engine bay to the strut towers on the passenger side. Make sure the distance from one side to the other is the same. The upper frame rails are level, but they angle in toward the center of the car, and you want to be sure it's symmetrical. Anyway, I'm no expert, but that's my 2 cents. best wishes!

another way I've seen is to move the engine cradle front brackets back 3". Although I don't remember seeing it I assume that the strut tower mounts would have to be moved back too.

I moved my front cradle mount braclets back the same distance as the strech. therefore the shock towers remained in tack with the rear half of the car.

I've been thinking of stretching my Fiero for a future design project.
    I thought it would be great to build a frame jig that will eliminate all the guess work when stretching the chassis. Just bolt the chassis into the jig and select the wheelbase length & everything will be true, square, & level. Wouldn't that be a great thing to have?

Attached Images Attached Images    

Rob,
    I have a service manual picture that has all of the chassis measurements. Here's a link: http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12607343892.jpg&s=f5

Any plans to get started, or is it all still on the drawing board?

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Thanks for the info. Bob, do you know if there are markers/reference points on the chassis for these measurements? Is the diagram for the 84-87? I've started design work on a new bumper using '06 lights.

Rob:

I did the cradle stretch on FunnyWheels. It was simple to do but you are limited to 3 inches. If you need more than that you will have to conduct surgery. In addition, you will need coil over shocks to clear the shock tower and yes, you need to move the shock toward the rear the same amount you extend the front of the cradle. The good news is you don't ruin your chassis and can always return it to stock if needed. Another advantage is you get a second chance if you make mistakes on the first cradle modification.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

cradle
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.