Thread: Ferrari 355 Quarter Glass

Ferrari 355 Quarter Glass

Anyone know of any kit car manufacturer companies that will sell me just the Ferrari 355 Quarter Glass? (I tried emailing B & B Spyder Customs, but they never got back to me.)

If not, is it possible to make them?

THanks,
    FerrariMPH

Re: Ferrari 355 Quarter Glass

Most, probably 99 % of the kits out there, use plexiglass for the quarter glass. Even the real 355 challenge cars use plexiglass. Consequently, you can either buy the real 355 glass or real challenge plexi at an outrageous cost... some $800 each. OR, you can have your local plexi supplier fit you with non-scratch plexi for 1/10th the cost. Be careful which plexi you choose though. Make sure you tell your supplier what you will be using it for and have him suggest the strongest and most scratch resistant plexi available. Pay extra for it too ;)

Best,

DKOV -

Thanks DKOV,

But won't even the best plexi glass still look like plexi glass? I'd prefer it was glass like the real thing. any recommendations? also, is there plexi glass that looks almost exactly like glass?

Thanks,
    FerrariMPH

I work in the glass industry and the plexiglass that is optimum is an abrasion resistant(AR)plexi, also there is some with over 99% UV protection(op3). There isnt any that combines the 2, however AR is still not impervious to scratches!! Care MUST be made when cleaning! you can use a hairdryer on high to shape the curve of the windows. I have a 2nd gen IFG & heard of folks using 2nd gen. MR2 3/4 & rear glass. Its worth a shot, alot less expensive. If you MUST have glass I'm sure a good fiberglass guy could MAKE them fit.

I'm planning on using 355 Challenge "glass"... IF and only IF I can find it for a better rate than OEM... which is insane.

Yeah, I know... this coming from a guy that spent $2200 on TWO mirrors!!!

I have AR Plexi on reserve in the back of my mind though... jus tin case.

One of my biggest thoughts, and conflicts, with the rear 3 panels of glass is the issue of BALANCE...

The Fiero really needs a bit less weight in the rear to attain propoer handling bias. This means either loosing weight in the rear or adding weight up front, right? How about the difference between plexi and glass? That's pretty significant, right?

Pretty good argument for plexi

I guess we'll burn that bridge when we come to it

For those of you that WANT real OEM glass... Yes, I have a guy... Maybe we can get a "group buy" !!!

DKOV -

Thanks for all the great info guys,
    I don't know what I would do without you.

There are just a few questions that beg to be answered:

1) DKOV, how much can you get the glass (or challenge plexi) on "group buy" ?

2) Does the MR2 side glass also fit well onto a stretched ferrari kit? (I know I'm using the MR2 rear glass right now.)

3) What about just cutting real glass and fitting it in?

Thanks,
    FerrariMPH

I have heard of people using the mr2 side glass on the stretched kits like mine. You cant "resize" auto glass its tempered so you cant cut it. you MAY be able to grind it if you aren't taking too much off . If its laminated(?) you cant grind it down or cut it without MAJOR chipping.

The 355 and 348 rear quarter glass cost is $155 each side. You can get them from Ted Rutland in Tucker, Georgia. He also has OEM 355 Headlight buckets including bulbs for $500 each out of 355 Ferrari's that were made into Challenge Cars. He is a Ferrari parts dealer. There is a person in Northern Georgia that makes the fiberglass part that needs to be glassed into your kit car body that holds in the quarter window. His name is John Watson 706-971-4676. Builds other parts as well. Tell him Dave from Florida sent you and he will provide all the details.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

what other parts? 355?

Rutland's Number?

DKOV -