Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motor swap into turnkey countach

motor swap into turnkey countach

Well...

It looks like it finally time to swap out my stock 2.8L motor in my countach replica. After much research on this forum (thanks you all very much for the info) I have decided to go with a 3800sc.

I have several questions related to a swap in my particular car. I have an unstretched countach from exotic illusions based on a 1985 fiero gt automatic. Will this be a problem for a shop to swap out the motor as the car is a turnkey with body mounted etc.

I am in New Jersey and haven't had much luck locating a shop that does this type of conversion. Anybody have a reference for me?

Re: motor swap into turnkey countach

Doing a swap with the body on will make it more difficult but not impossible. The whole engine/trans assembly and rear suspension will have to be dropped out of the bottom of the car. Most of the work will be done outside the car. The wiring harness connections will be tricky because the whole harness has to be modified and moved to the other side of the engine. With the engine outside of the car it will be harder to measure exactly how long the wires need to be to make for a neat appearance. The cooling system plumbing will be another challenge. From what I've seen the countach body covers a good bit of the engine compartment so there will be helpful if you're a contortionist. If your not going to do it yourself you better plan on taking it to a shop that specializes in Fiero engine swaps like Ed Parks, Ryan Glick, Fast Fieros, West coast Fieros etc. I don't think most regular shops would touch it, it they did, plan on spending 10-15K at least.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I am also in New Jersey, there are very few options locally. I can talk to my shop that did my 3800SCII conversion on a 355, but my swap was a 3800NA to a 3800SCII, so the plumbing was in place. Ed parks only does 3.4 pushrod or 4.9L Caddy conversions. Your best bet for a 3800SCII conversion from the stock 2.8 will be Loyde from FastFieros in Texas. He is excellent but plan on your car being there a minimum of 3 months. JR from Kitcarman.com in Florida can also do the conversion but I can't speak for his quality until I receive my F40/Northstar conversion he is doing for me. Rockcrawl (John Lagler) is in the Allentown area but I hear he has gotten out of the business or is taking a break. He does almost every conversion on the planet and computer reprogramming for Fiero conversions. Regards. Bill

There is also0 a guy in Canada (PBJ) that can do a 3800 SC swap. If you need more information I can get an address/phone number for him.
    Nelson

I have heard great things about PJB as well, but he works full time and it is a side line for him.I am curious are you having the 3800SC mated to the 4T65E-HD transmission? I would highly recommend this. I don't think the swap would be that difficult because your not dealing with extended cables because you mention it is a non stretch car. You are going to love the 3800SC, Make sure it's a version 2. The difference will be like night and day compared to the 2.8L stock motor. Take care. Bill

Here is JR's web link to his 3800SC conversions. He might be able to pick your car up when he delivers mine towards the end of this month. He does pick ups and deliveries and you might save a few bucks in transportation since he will be in South Jersey already delivering my car. He also builds Diablo's based on non stretched Fieros so he should be familiar with your body. Take care. Bill
    http://www.kitcarman.com/3800sc.htm

Thank you so much for the info gentlemen...

Bill did you say that he builds non-stretched DIABLOS?

Where is south jersey are you?

I know JR builds a non stretch Lambo of some type, I am am not familiar with Lambo type kitcars. I am in Elwood, about 25 miles west of Atlantic City off Route 30. The nearest large town is Hammonton the south end of Route 206. Take care. Bill

This is the non stretch Diablo he builds. Take care. Bill
    http://www.kitcarman.com/diablo.htm