Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairing Rubber Panels ?

Repairing Rubber Panels ?

Hey everyone. I'm trying to find an epoxy that will work for repairing rubber parts, like the Fiero's stock bumper. I'm having a lot of trouble finding something that will adhere well enough. I may try bonding fiberglass to rubber as well, so any suggestions a material to use for repairs and bonding fiberglass to rubber would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance,
    Ken

Re: Repairing Rubber Panels ?

If you just have a crack or blemish, there is a 2 stage bumper repair misture made by bondo:

http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_...sp?itemNbr=709

I used it to repair a fender on my Saturn. There's not much in the package, but it's less than $10. I picked it up at Advance Auto. Seemed to work pretty well, but it shrunk quite a bit, even after the half hour curing time had passed, so it took a few extra coats.

I'll keep that in mind, but I'd like to stay away from shrinkage.... :-\ Well, you know what I mean.

I was just looking through some stuff on the 3M website, and it looked like some of that may be ok for rubber bumpers, but the descriptions are pretty general and not very elaborate. Plus, no prices.

My Friend owns a body shop and a number of years ago, invested in a "welder" and system designed for ABS, EPDM, polyurethene and other types of bumpers. It basically ran a bead of similar material like welding metal and then you sanded, prepped and painted.

He was'nt at all happy with the quality of repairs and like many other body shops, won't even consider repairing torn, cracked or split "soft parts". I'm not sure if the quality has improved over the years but you could try searching for "Plastic welder" etc and see what you can find.

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Wow, that actually looks cool. Just curious, are you saying he bought it and was disappointed in it because it didn't work that great... or that because no one would think of repairing flexible parts, he bought one and now he can repair them?

If it didn't work, I'm not even going to bother, but that does sound like a cool idea if it did. Thanks for the info.

kitcarnut

save the money , the welding kit will cost you more then new bumper.
    go to your body shop and ask who does their bumper repairs.
    average repair cost around 75-100. they may mark up couple bucks for their trouble.

I'm more into using the epoxy (or whatever) to adhere other parts to the rubber, like cutting out a piece of another rubber bumper and adhering it to the Fieros, for example. I'm not necessarily "repairing" damage... more like causing it. ;D If it would work for fiberglass parts too... that would be a plus. The biggest thing is having the material about the same flexibility as the stock rubber and making sure it will actually bond to the rubber without peeling off. I do appreciate your suggestions.

Ken

kitcarnut

OK, then try Dominion Sure Seal

there are 5 different types of repair kits.Flexible/xpst, rigit/xrf, semi rigit/xpsap, rigit flex bonder/xrfntr, epoxo 89/xe89.
    this product is #1 used in most repair shop. 1 800 265-0790
    I dont know the web,they can tell you.

I tried looking on the web for a site that sells it... no luck. Guess I have to do it the old fashioned way. There's at least a couple distributers within an hour of me. Looks like the way to go! Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Ken

kitcarnut

not for sale to public,you mayhave to go to bodyshop supply.
    http://www.smitsgroup.co.nz/gpi-auto...-sure-seal.cfm