Thread: Need help, first build

Need help, first build

Hello, I am new here. I am going to build a Lamborghini Countach kit by Euroworks. I am 15 and don't know anything about kit cars. With the kit I am considering, you don't have to stretch the fiero chassis, and it looks to be an easy kit to build. http://www.euroworksexotics.com/miragek.htm So my question is, will it be easier to just buy this kit and not stretch the chassis and save my self the trouble, or should I just get a pro builder to stretch the chassis for me and buy this kit? http://www.euroworksexotics.com/mirages.htm Also, how much extra will it cost to stretch the chassis? I don't really have a problem with the car not being to scale, but I would prefer it is, because the to scale kit does look considerably better. I just want a cheap build for now, then I can work my way up. So temporarily, I don't care about interior, or engine. Just exterior appearance(rims,paint,fit &finish)
    I am thinking this build will cost me around $10 000-$15 000 in CAD dollars. Thanks,

Re: Need help, first build

The bad thing about Countach kits is that they are not easy kits to build, whether it be stretched or non stretched. Most of the hard part is fabricating and welding the necessary supports and mounting areas for the body, hood, trunk, and doors. Not to mention the fact that the top will need to be cut off, and the chassis will need to be strengthened as well. When you get the body, it is basically a shell that is just "floating" over the chassis, with no way to secure it. That's why you much fabricate mounting areas and supports.

I don't want to discourage you from getting the kit. As long as you know it is a ton of hard work to get a Countach built, and you are ok with it, that's all great. As far as preference... I'd get the Mirage S and have the chassis stretched, but if you are ok with the look of the Mirage K, that would save you a bit of money at least. If you are not into welding, you will have to consider the cost of having someone make the supports and mounts for the body as well as the stretch, if you go that way. Plus custom wheels can sometimes run you almost the price of the kit itself. A lot of people are expecting the bodies to just be able to be bolted on the car and all you have to worry about is prepping the body and putting pieces together. That's the easy part. ;D

Don't feel like I'm telling you to give up. I wish I had a better idea of what I was getting into when I first bought an IFG nonstretched countach kit. Bad Idea, but I still want to get a Mirage S someday... I still Love the car. If you can get some welding experience, you'll save yourself a TON of money by doing a lot of the fabrication/welding yourself. That's a lot of big buck that you'd need to pump out for that. If there's a welding/metalshop in your school, you may want to see about taking a class.

Feel free to email me if you need any more info. I'd love to see more Countach kits get completed.

Ken

Hey thanks for the advice Ken. ;D I appreciate it. I am going to go with the stretched kit, it looks a whole lot better. I am going to take autoshop next year in highschool, So I can hopefully learn to weld and do most of the costly stuff myself. But as for stretching the chassis, that looks like a daunting task, and there is a custom hot rod shop down the street from me who fabricates chassis and such, so they could do it for me. As for the kit manufacturer, Euroworks, are they are reputable company?I have to read up on their customer service. Thanks for your help.

You really can't go wrong with Euroworks. They are very reputable. Their Mirage S body is what I want too!

Ken

I like your attitude. My son did the same thing. In fact once he learned to weld, he taught me. He is now turning 18 and almost finished his 355. The trick is to remain patient and if you're not sure on a procedure, reasearch it, and get help from your shop teacher. You'll be surprised how much they are willing to co-operate. My son's teacher came to the house several times.

Regards
    Paul