Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Take a look at this kit..

Take a look at this kit..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Repli...25191596QQrdZ1

It is really really cheap, but has to be one of the worst Testarossa kits. The sad thing is I might want ot buy it. So my question is there anything I can do to this kit to make it look a more accurate and better, if not, I won't consider it. Thanks,

Re: Take a look at this kit..

There is one thing you can do to make it look more authentic, light it on fire and watch it burn to the ground, then replace it with a car that doesnt look like a living abortion.

I saw that one when it was first listed. I've seen a few of those on the road / at shows etc, they are very short looking.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Quote Originally Posted by jdorr2002
    There is one thing you can do to make it look more authentic, light it on fire and watch it burn to the ground, then replace it with a car that doesnt look like a living abortion.
    Is it really that bad?

Well,

I don't know about lighting it on fire but I can tell you that they look "unusual". They tend to look very stuby and a bit narrow as well. Try searching the web for Testarossa or 512 replica. I'm sure a few will come up. You can see very clearly a stretched one vs a non-stretch.

If you are looking for an unusual car, the price is'nt too bad. If you are looking for something "authentic", you may not be happy with a "short kit". It's personal preference.
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Well, price is what worries me most. If I can make the kit look better than that, and a bit more authentic, I don't really care about the stretch. But I think I'm gonna keep on looking for something I really like.

I agree.

It really depends on your feelings about it. Some people want to have their replica "close enough looking" to fool people. (The stubby 512's and Lambo's, while some are very nice), can't quite "cut it". People just "automatically know".

I've never had an issue with telling people that my last 308 was a replica. With this current 308, I've been slowly been improving it and the majority of people who see it, never even ask if it's a replica. (Which amazes me). SInce I've moved, I decided to not take this one out until my interior swap is done, the V8 swap is done etc. A neighbor down the street who actually had a 348 has stopped by several times and looked the car over. The first 3 times he was here, he never knew it was a replica.

Once I told him, he looked over the car very well while I pointed out the differences. He still swore that it was "different" than replicas that he has seen in the past. (Mostly it's not).

I think the wheels, real emblem(s), real lights etc add a bit to it but this Winter, I'm making a few changes to the Headlights, the hood grille and the possible addition of real side glass windows that a GTB should have (instead of the fake plastic vents).

While I don't care (and often tell people) that it's a replica, I admit that I like when people actually "argue" that I'm pulling their leg and lying to them! I just want to make it as authentic as possible. I think the new V8 and other updates will set it apart.

I think that it's all up to the owner. If you like the way the T/R looks, go for it. Price sure seems ok. But if you feel you may want something a bit more authentic, hold out... one will come along.

Where are you at by the way.?

Just my .02

I am located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The problem with ebay and manufacturers in the States is Canada has a no kit car rule, so they will not allow it across the border.(assembled,un-assembled,don't matter) But I have heard there are ways and exceptions to get kit cars across the border. Do you guys know of any way to get it in?

Quote Originally Posted by cardude051
    I am located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The problem with ebay and manufacturers in the States is Canada has a no kit car rule, so they will not allow it across the border.(assembled,un-assembled,don't matter) But I have heard there are ways and exceptions to get kit cars across the border. Do you guys know of any way to get it in?
    Buy one in Canada..It has been gone over a hundred times on the forum and you cant bring it into Canada..
    There are a lot of replicas in Canada and I have seen a lot of great deals up there..So shop around..

You're in a good "spot". Mr Ferrari is correct. There are always quite a few nice deals in Canada. I've seen several tempting 355's, Lambo's etc in the last year that's for sure. You'll find one no problem.

We have the same problem here. We see them in Canada and can't seem to get them over here without a ton of work. (although I think it's easier to get them from Canada to the US "slightly" easier than the other way around).

Keep looking, you'll find a good deal in the Great White North.