Thread: Kits for GM X-frame

Kits for GM X-frame

Hello,

Some guy came over to my house the other day to buy an old Mustang GT that I was parting out. He told me that he had a 1964 Bel Air or Impala (I can't remember which one) which has an X frame (the ones where the driveshaft goes through the inside of the center section of the frame. These frames were quite advanced for their time, as they had a four link rear suspension. I then told him that I had one of those X frames in my back yard as I am rebuilding a 1962 Pontiac Stratochief (which is like a Bonneville or Catalina). I got the spare frame as a bonus when I bought the Stratochief. I kept it for spare parts (the previous owner replaced most of the front suspension/steering components). Anyway, to make a long story somewhat shorter, this guy told me that these X frames are quite sought after by kit car builders because of the ease of just dropping a body onto them. Has anybody ever heard of this? Does anyone know which manufacturer might make kitcars for this type of frame? I was going to junk it after the completion of the Stratochief, but I may decide to keep it if I can do something with it.

Re: Kits for GM X-frame

Welcome to the forum.I belive kit car builders will reinforce the chassie for a convertable,resulting in an X frame.Sorry but,I wouldnt know if anyone would have a use for your frame because of the diffrent dimensions.You might try placeing it on ebay or your local paper.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!