Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fiero engine possibilities, which is easiest?

fiero engine possibilities, which is easiest?

hey guys, i know there are a lot of options for a fiero engine swap (LS1, 4.9, sc3800, 3.4, any i've forgotten?), but i was wondering which is the easiest? i have "possibly" found a GT with a cracked head, and i can probably get it for pretty cheap (the guy that told me about it told me the guy that owns it tried to GIVE IT AWAY a few years ago!) so i was wondering if i could just rebuild the stock engine or if i might be better off doing a swap, since i'm assuming i'll have to remove the motor anyway (i don't know what it takes to replace a head)... here's my planned project: www.v8archie/finale as far as performance goes, i want something that will really throw me into the seat when i romp on it! not necessarily a 508hp LS1 with nitrous (from pennocks), but something with some kick, ya know? i'm kinda particular about the sound i want also... something like an import... not the fart can kind of import... but i don't want the choppy sound that you get from the common v8 american cars and trucks.... understand what i'm sayin? i heard a soundclip of a 4.9 in a fiero, and it sounds like the poo... anyway, maybe i've given enough info to get some feedback, and if not, then ask me questions and i'll try to give more

Re: fiero engine possibilities, which is easiest?

Have you checked Pennocks? Lot's of good threads and flame wars regarding the different swaps. I have a 3.4 TDC. I also swapped a 4.9 on my last Fiero. The 4.9 was the first time I had ever tried anything like that and it fired up the first try! If you can read schematics and have a good set of tools then any of the swaps shouldn't be too tough. It depends what you want. The SBC is a very heavy engine and IMHO it doesn't fit the personality of the Fiero. I liked the 4.9 because it's an aluminum block engine and weighs about what the stock 2.8 does. My current project has the 3.4 DOHC because it's a high revving engine that sounds awesome and fits the personality of the Ferrari body I've installed. One thing to watch out for though is that a torque monster engine will probably end up tearing up your tranny and clutch. You may consider swapping in a stronger automatic trans along with your new engine.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

If you're looking for the cheapest swap, go with a 3.4 V6 out of a 93-95 Camaro. It probably won't throw you back in your seat as much as you're looking for, but it's by far the easiest, thus cheapest swap. The block is identical to the stock Fiero v6. The only modification needed is to move the starter from one side of the block to the other. Rodney Dickman sells a jig for about $50 to drill and tap the holes. Aside from that, you just use the intake and accessories from the stock Fiero. Check www.car-part.com to find a local junkyard with a Camaro engine, and you could probably do the swap for less than $700.

Again, that's the way to go for ease of install, and low budget. The other swaps could cost you $4000 or more, especially if you're not too keen on wiring, building motor mounts, etc.

the L67 (3800 S/C) seems to be a popular choice as well. Plenty of low end torque and fun to drive.
    This is less simple than the 3.4 DOHC, and it's a pushrod so it acts and sound quite a bit diffrent, not to mention is a bit more expensive.
    I come to you with only &quot;KARATE&quot; - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - &quot;KARATE&quot; - my empty hands.<br />- Ed Parker, 1957

Hi all,

Look over the link added below, it talks about a 3.4 dohc and some mods done to it...If your going for an exotic sound and power then this is the engine, NO DOUBT! If someone would tell me how to put a sound file online then I can show you what the engine in the link sounds like.... Also it IS NOT even turboed yet, and the owner claims around 300 hp.... Whatever you do though, DO NOT start any threads about DKOV he is a very hated guy in the kit car arena....

YOU WILL wanna hear the sound clip I have TOO!! Remember it isn't turboed yet! The first link will talk about what mods DKOV has done to his 3.4 dohc and the sound clip will tell you what it sounds like allrighty... The 2nd link will take you to an installer of 3.4 dohc's.... There is a pic of what one looks like, from them, and there is an installation guide, sorta, of how much it might cost just to put in the turbo.... Figure about 5 figures, as in cash, to put in a turbo dohc that does not sound like the sound file I have.......

link: http://www.madmechanics.com/index.php?topic=169.0
    link 2: http://www.westcoastfiero.com

ANYONE know how to put a sound file on the net??
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Well you will get many different opinions on this I will share mine. I looked for power, gas mileage, ease of swap, handling and fit and finish. I have done a 350 SBC. Strait up I hated it; it was the worst swap for a Fiero I have done if you can get an all aluminum SBC that would bolt up without a kit and no cutting up the frame of the car it would be nice. I did a 3800 SC it was the hardest swap for me power was not as I had been told face it; it is still a V6 so it can make a lot of power but it will cost you a lot. It handled good. Had a friend with a 3.4 DOHC he hated it and removed it; it was a very temperamental engine and was as heavy as a SBC. My favorite was my 4.9 swap it got great gas mileage was fast and fit in the engine bay like it was made for the Fiero it was easy and cheap. I could drive the car anywhere never with fear of breaking down with AC on high in 100 degree temperature outside and still get the jump on camaros and mustangs I had a five speed I would recommend Auto with any Fiero swap the cables and the shifter for the Fiero is not intended for performance so it sucks. I did not have to have custom radiators or anything other than stock Fiero with the 4.9. Now this is my own experience and do not even own nor would I ever own another Fiero, but I will give you my honest opinion. Most will argue but I will say I know from actually having the cars and not from hear say. We put a 4.9 strait up with a 3800SC series 2 both stock with 4 speed autos and they were dead even from start to finish or as you will say red light to red light the 4.9 on a trip from Texas to Kansas got about 2 miles per gallon better than the 3800 SC did but the 4.9 car did not have the AC working at the time neither car was mine but I went on the trip with them. I hope this helps but as most you probley have your opinions and just want reassurance but you got mine.
    www.kikkerbikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by pavo_rodddy
    If your going for an exotic sound and power then this is the engine, NO DOUBT!
    you hit it right on the spot! i just couldn't think of a way to word it.. as for pennocks, i tried to register there, but couldn't because i use yahoo for email, and they wouldn't let me unless i had like a major ISP (aol, ya-de-da...) i might be able to make up a bellsouth email but i don't want to go through the hassle... but yeah, that sucks because i'm looking for fiero specific info... i mean, i have "fiero" in the subject line, but you never know... this thread may get hijacked by someone wanting info on a engine swap for a veedub.... ok; rant over.....

back to the 3.4 swap... it seems pretty easy, and achievable with my knowledge, skills, and tools/space to work with.. IF i can get this car for cheap, then this is the route i will go... if not, i'll either have to give up the fiero idea and find something else (either lift my geo tracker 4x4 or find a chevy c-10 to restore) OR i can drive up to huntsville and check out .... shoot, i forgot the name of that place... there went my chance for a discount! lol... anyway, they said i could buy a fiero with the 4.9.... i'd sorta rather try to get this one tho... close to home, cheap, and i'll be able to do my own work to it

wait... from WCF, which 3.4 are you talking about? dual twin cam (210 HP) or the pushrod (160HP)?? i tried to look at fierosails.com, in their "secret" page, but it froze up...

when people refer to the 3.4 it's almost always the DOHC.
    I come to you with only &quot;KARATE&quot; - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - &quot;KARATE&quot; - my empty hands.<br />- Ed Parker, 1957

The 3.4 pushrod was popular a while back because it was so similar to the 2.8. The wiring harnes and mounts from the stock 2.8 could be used. the upper intake from the Fiero could even be swapped over to keep the stock appearance. I think the only thing that needed to be changed was a starter bolt or something. But the downside is that the 3.4 was as much a dog as the 2.8.
    The 3.4 DOHC/TDC is a totally different beast.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.