Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car bowing after top is cut off

car bowing after top is cut off

After welding in an x-frame with a box around it, I am still getting alot of deflection in the passanger compartment of my car. The engine is removed right now and when i lift up on the left or right rear of the car (by hand) the car actually twist pretty bad. Can anyone help with what they did to correct this major issue? I enclosed a photo of the x-frame. (hope it worked)

Re: car bowing after top is cut off

An X -frame is not enough to brace up the Fiero chassis.You have to brace the frame front to back as well in order for the car to be strong and safe.The Fiero is naturaly a very weak chassis, and becomes much more so once "any" steel member is removed.

You can add this to help...

Supporting just the belly of the car is not going to do a hole lot just on its own,but its a start.First off,I think that the whole X member crap is overkill.All you really need is rocker pannel suport.Next is tie in the rockers with the rear strut towers,and some strength between the towers.I think maypics man has some shots somewhere he can show you,or a website.The weakist part of theese cars is the rear.If you add to it,streaching the frame,cutting off the top,adding weight by putting in a bigger moter,your just adding to the problem.Just reinforceing the belly wont work.You will end up with a wagging tail!Hope this helps

I see spyder and i poasted at the same time.The pitcher he has is a perfict example of what I was saying

Thanks for the help but I do have supports under the rocker area. http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/ferrari...e_Stretch.html if you look at the last 2 photos on that page, you can see the rocker support. also not show in the photos is the stiffner for the rear section which goes from the rear of the rocker support to the "stretch" on the rear section, very similar to what Spyder did. I did notice however that in spyders photos, it looks like he added another sheet of steel to go from the support to the rocker panel. Do you think by adding this additional panel will be all I need?

p.s. how do I install photos onto this forum? my first attempt didnt work

Bondo Bob is correct with his comments on the "X" Frame being overkill. I have one installed on my 355 with bracing similar to the photo Spyder placed. My rear frame bracing is closer to the Fiero rear firewall with an angle along the bottom of the rear Fiero frame rail. My frame bracing is closer to the firewall due to the fact I am installing radiators on each side behind the doors and needed the space to stand each of the radiators. I used a 2 X 3 inch steel tube and it is much stiffer than the Fiero chassis it hooks to. I will take a few shots to post after I get back home on the 12th.

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Well I added the sheet metal stifner as I saw in spyders photos and this help out a real lot! Thanks for everyones help

It looks as if Spyder is driving without an x-brace. The rocker support does help reduce 'bowing', but I wonder if there is any noticeable chassis twisting when on the road.