Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi Transaxle information

Audi Transaxle information

Can someone help with information on Audi Transaxles?

Which cars have desirable transaxles? Please be specific Years and model?

I see several people mention an audi 6 speed. What does that come out of? I've looked at them at salvage yards in my area and all the 5000's I've seen are 5 speeds (which is fine with me)

What about Quattro? What do you do with the extra output shaft to the rear wheels? (in its original configuration)

Thanks

Re: Audi Transaxle information

Hi Bart

The ones we use are from 88-89 Audi 5000 non Quattro 5 speed. They come from a turbo or non turbo car and are avail in 3 or so different common ratios.

The newer Audis have a 6 speed, but as far as I know, nobody here in the US has been brave enough to try one yet...they are much more $$$.

As far as a quattro (awd) trans stay away from them. The rear wd companion flange is not removeable without having to do something to seal up teh back of the case, and the case itself is huge because there is a long limited slip kind of drive deal for the AWD setup..it's waaaaaaaaaaaay long. I originally heard you could take that studff out, but it's too much work.

The Audi 016 as it's called is identified by the cast iron section in the middle of the case, the earlier ones(weaker) had an aluminum center. I've had AAZ and 5N trannnies, and they were both great. We have one in an offroad car with a sbc, and we kick the heck out of that thing, with no ill effects. Kennedy makes the adapters, starter, and clutch/flywheel, and Quaiffe even makes a diff for it (same as Porsche 944)

You should be able to scare one up for under $600, they are pretty available, because nobody fixes those Audis any more.

We make all the mounts for it and carry the oddball slave cyl (metric) fitting for the hydraulic clutch if you go with it.

Mike
    www.Chassisworksinc.com<br />www.Chassissupply.com

I am using a 95 A4 5 speed. I decided to keep the attaching case of the GM 4.3 motor, this way I use the same starter, flywheel, etc....I welded the GM case to the Audi case, keeping the original tranny lengh.

I will give feedback, when I have it running.

Hey MM, good job and very resourceful. I wouldn't recommend doing it that way though, for the fact that if you ever need to replace anything, you're only going to be able to use your parts or do it all over again. I'm pretty sure the newer Audi Boxes have the same bolt pattern as the 016 , so I would say to use the Kennedy setup. I believe the 4.3 also has the same bellhousing bolt pattern as a regular SBC. I know it's expensive,but that's car building.

Another thing I noticed is that the shift shaft is on the opposite side from the 016 box, so the cable setups avail for that trans probably will not work.

What are the numbers on the trans?? I"d like to look at one first hand and see if the bolt pattern is the same.

Mike

Mike, transmition number is 012 301 211 L.

Quote Originally Posted by Chassisworks
    Hi Bart

The ones we use are from 88-89 Audi 5000 non Quattro 5 speed. They come from a turbo or non turbo car and are avail in 3 or so different common ratios.

The newer Audis have a 6 speed, but as far as I know, nobody here in the US has been brave enough to try one yet...they are much more $$$.

As far as a quattro (awd) trans stay away from them. The rear wd companion flange is not removeable without having to do something to seal up teh back of the case, and the case itself is huge because there is a long limited slip kind of drive deal for the AWD setup..it's waaaaaaaaaaaay long. I originally heard you could take that studff out, but it's too much work.

The Audi 016 as it's called is identified by the cast iron section in the middle of the case, the earlier ones(weaker) had an aluminum center. I've had AAZ and 5N trannnies, and they were both great. We have one in an offroad car with a sbc, and we kick the heck out of that thing, with no ill effects. Kennedy makes the adapters, starter, and clutch/flywheel, and Quaiffe even makes a diff for it (same as Porsche 944)

You should be able to scare one up for under $600, they are pretty available, because nobody fixes those Audis any more.

We make all the mounts for it and carry the oddball slave cyl (metric) fitting for the hydraulic clutch if you go with it.

Mike
    Mike....

thx for posting all that info about the Audi tranny... Very useful to me !

Any Time. 8)

I too was thinking about using the audi transaxle in my next built (F355) but if the Audi is only a 5-speed it might not be worth the effort. I was going to bolt it up to a SC3800 but maybe now I will stick with the Fiero 5-speed?? Does anyone know if there is a transaxle that is a 6 speed and posi traction that can be bloted up to the 3800??

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari-spyder
    I too was thinking about using the audi transaxle in my next built (F355) but if the Audi is only a 5-speed it might not be worth the effort. I was going to bolt it up to a SC3800 but maybe now I will stick with the Fiero 5-speed?? Does anyone know if there is a transaxle that is a 6 speed and posi traction that can be bloted up to the 3800??
    Yes the new Pontiac G6 six speed will bolt up to the 3800 you can also get all the shifter components from GM as well
    www.kikkerbikes.com