Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on engines

Thoughts on engines

Hi all,

I'm still debating with myself as to what motor to go for with my custom ground up build.

The newest motor added to the list of "options" is the Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 V8 DOHC.

The other options I've been considering are the Ford 4.6 V8 DOHC (Mustang GT's), Corvette LT5, a 3.4 TDC, a 3.8 Turbo, and of course the SBC 350.

While price wise/availability, the 350 would be the easiest way to go, but in an F-40 replica it just wouldn't sound right.

Any information/suggestions about experiences or problems with any of these would be much appreciated.

Oh yeah, it would end up being mated likely to a Porche 915 trans.

Thanks all.

Re: Thoughts on engines

The f40 has a 179 cubic inch v8 which is around the equivelant of around 3.2 liters(guessing here). I would consider using the engine I suggested to aap. The engines are very simular, both have 4 ohc's, 4 valves per cylinder, and both are light weight. Though the f40 outshines the audi 3.6 liter when it comes to torque and horsepower... With the right modifications the audi 3.6 liter v8 can certainly equal the f40. I also believe that the 915 transmission would mate with the audi engine easily.

Consider that the msrp for a 1990 audi 4dr v8 3.6 liter awd is only around $5,000. I cant imagine the price for just the engine being over $1500.

I may be wrong about the f40 engine size, I checked several different sources...

I, my self working on a Buick 3.8 turbo motor(Buick Grand National setup) for my future roadster, I have no problem with the parts because I restore and sell Turbo buicks as a hobby.The only problem is 3.8 turbo motors work best with an auto trans.I am going with the stick because have you seen an auto Diablo? The car will be much slower with the stick setup,but we will see. My GN runs 10.70's@124mph, the car alone weights 3800+ lbs . the Roadster should be around 3000lbs I think, so I will make up some time and speed due to that and better aerodynamics.

Good Luck
    Prasad

The real F-40 is actually a 2.9L v8 (twin turbo of course). *I had looked into the audi briefly, but they are not too common around here. *But it is definitely on the list (I think I forgot to mention it though). *Also, the Toyota/Lexus V8 might be nice too (but considerably pricier).

I will do some more digging into the Audi though.

While an actual F-40 motor would be sweet, I saw someone selling just the motor with turbos for $80K US (just a tad bit pricey for me...)

I would rather use a v8 over a 6, so the 3.4/3.8 are at the bottom of the list, but still there as far as an option goes

Thanks

You are SO going to give yourself away with a low toned, low RPM V8 or V6 motor in an F40 kit car...

You NEED a high rpm, high HP motor for the "music" that Ferrari is known for.

The ONLY motor that will provide that is a 3.4L TDC/DOHC motor.

THIS I KNOW

7000+ RPMs with 550 HP... Sound good?

I think so

DKOV -

heh, cars usually have a device called a rev-limiter built into the fuel mapper that limits the engine to a certain rpm range, like that of the lt1/ls1. Most aftermarket replacement chips remove the limiter increasing the rpm range attainable. The ls1/lt1 is more then capable of attaining over 6500 rpm and close to 7000. There are more factors you have to look at before you can conclude that just the high rpm wining the engine that causes the sound(though it's a major factor). Displacement can also be a contributing factor, and usually with smaller displacement comes the higher rpm ranges(a 1.8 liter honda engine revs at 7600 rpm). The thing I'm trying to get at is that the 3.4 liter grand prix(example) engine is not the only engine capable of producing those near ferrari whining noises, and a big gmc v8 is near impossible to make it sound like that. There are other 8 cylinder engines other than those produced by ferrari that are can be tuned to have high rpm ranges, like the audi 3.6 liter engine.

Chris

In short, it's the volume of air/exhaust that is being moved and how fast it's moving.

one nice thing I discovered about the Audi 3.6 also, is the bore is the same as the F-40 (within 1mm). The stroke is about 1.3cm longer in the Audi. Would be easy enough to get a custom crank/connecting rods (pricey, yes, but easily doable) to get the same throw...

Yes, custom fabrication is usually very exspensive when it comes to metallic products(aluminum, steel, iron, etc.). Unless you have the tools required on hand, and the knowledge to do so. I'm sure there are aftermarket manufactors for the products that you specified.