Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fiero body removal.....need help

fiero body removal.....need help

well i am finnaly going to start mounting my kit body........

i bought a 85 gt and was going to put my 308 kit on that car, but the motor is fried....so....
    i bought a 86 se in mint shape and i want to take all the body pannels off, i know how to take the hood, trunk door skins and bumpers off but the main rear 1/4 looks hard any tips guys......

i will also start a diary soon with my progress including pics

Re: fiero body removal.....need help

Hope this helps...This article deals with the procedure of removeing the body pannels on the Pontiac Fiero.........
    Facia Removeal (Starting with the Front Nose)
    How to Remove the front bumper by me
    Remove the 3 or 4 ferderwell screws in the fenderwell.Remove the turn signals. disconect the wireing sockets and pop them through.Remove the Star Torx head bolts under the front of the hood that hold the top of the bumper on (the hood doesn't have to be taken off, but most likely it will be in the way when installing the new Facia). I used a socket and something that looks like a screw driver that has a square end for the socket,but a screw driver can be used to turn the socket.There were 2 that were a little dificult to get out so I used a pair of small vice grip and a socket to loosen the screws.Pop the molding by the turn signals anr remove any screws or rivets that you may see.There are also about 6 screws on each side of the bottom some of these screws hold on the air dam so those won't have to be remove (Those screws in the middle,your not removeing the air dam just detaching part of it from the Facia)Takes about 20 minutes to remove.You most likely will have to make some changes to the inner bumper to fit the new outer skin.

REAR CLIP REMOVAL
    When trying to remove my rear fastback clip I really couldn't find many resources on how to do it so I decided to write down all the steps I an think of. Feel free to add to this if you have any info.
    1. Remove Taillights
    2. Pop the clips that hold the taillight harness and bulbs to the clip. (they're back on each cubby of the taillight portion of the clip. Also unscrew every nut and bolt that you can see back there. the only thing left should be one rivet on each side that holds the clip pieces together.
    3. Remove rear 1/4 panels if you have not done so already
    4. Not sure whether rear bumper must be removed, but mine was.
    5. pop out all the plastic fasteners in rear wheel wells that look like they might be attached. I think there's 3 on each side that are actually attached.
    6. Unscrew all the screws and nuts from the gas housing. (4 nuts and 2 screws or so)
    7. take off all the bolts and clips on the black plastic piece that runs along the side of trunk and around inside of 1/4 windows. You'll need to pop this out (The Black Quarter window frame) to get to the 3 (and one mini screw bolt) on each side that directly hold the clip on and are hidden under the The Black Quarter window frame.
    8. unscrew those 3 bolts on each side. Look closely, the third one is hard to see.
    9. pull back the cloth and you will find three nuts on the roof of the car in the rear. pull the plastic surrounding off of them and unscrew.
    10. On each B Pillar (or the piece of frame that holds the seat belts and side speakers) there are two holes right next to each other, one larger ontop and one smaller on bottom. You will need a 3" extension and size 11mm deep socket to get this nut off. it's hard to get to but if you feel around for it *it's about 1/2" above the hole" you will get it off no problem. Don't lose your socket down the hole.If your Quarter Windowes are old remove (use gloves) and the bolt heads can be easely ground off (this is an alternate way of accessing the B piller bolts)
    11.It helps if you hold and lift udnerneath the and pull up while prying directly underneath the roof panel with a screwdriver at the top of the roof line because there are about plastic nubs that help hold the rear on. Good luck)

How to remove the door skin without removeing the inner door pannel

1.Remove the Plastic Torx screws arround the edge of the door.
    2.Remove the 2 nuts holding the side mirror on the inner edge were the window pops through (use a curved wrench).Then remove the side mirror.
    3.Pop the rivets on the bottom of the door skin with a hammer and chisel.
    4.There are 3 or 4 screws under the door molding.
    5.Pull back the door skin and remove the door locking washer.
    6.Now lift the door skin up and off.Thats it.

DECK LID REMOVAL
    Make sure the Stop Cable is secured on both sides befor proceding (the cable just below the hinges so your window doesnt get busted).As a slight caution place a thin piece of wood in the rear window this will help protect it (better safe than sorry).
    It's just 4 bolts (REMOVAL OF THE SECURITY BOLTS IS NOT NECESSARY IT HAS A DIMPLE IN THE CENTER OF THE STAR (TORX)HEAD THIS BOLT CAN BUST OUT THE REAR WINDOW,Those are the center Torx head bolts (Star) and can crack the rear window if removed) Disconnect the wireing harness for the trunk release (if you have one).Remove the ground wire attached to the heat shied under the trunk lid.

The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

sounds great so far do i have to pull the head linner off to get at anything... because i have to take it off anyway to redo it in black... as well as the inner pannels and how hard is it for the dash to come off

You only realy need to remove the rear part of the headliner to remove the bolts that attach the large rear clip section to the roof..

I think it was described above but didnt mention removing the headliner..

9. pull back the cloth and you will find three nuts on the roof of the car in the rear. pull the plastic surrounding off of them and unscrew.

thanks.... is that your 308 kit.... i am still looking for some loovers for my car and do your tail lights have the amber and white in them or just amber?

Quote Originally Posted by viciouscrx
    thanks.... is that your 308 kit.... i am still looking for some loovers for my car and do your tail lights have the amber and white in them or just amber?
    I bought the car from Bill (aa2uk) on the forum here.. I just have the amber tails since real ones have been soooo expensive since they are no longer in production.. Notice my expert photography skills showing my amber tails but not revealing the centers.. ;D

I did remove the body from the Fiero that the F40 is sitting on so I know how to get the body off.. But getting the Ferrari body on the car was far more complicated than ripping the Fiero body off so I just bought a completed kit.. But the F40 is a more complicated biuld that the 308.. I should have just bought a 308 kit in the first place since I had no building experience when I bought the F40....

why are you selling the f40?

to bad im to far away.....
    whats left on itto do?

Everything...

The body is just sitting on the Fiero in the pictures and nothing is mounted.. The donar 84' Fiero is basicly worthless since the motor is the 4 pooper and has a bad bad knock.. :'( 84' Feiro FTL

vicouscrx;

I have the rear louver panel molds I got with my 328 panel molds. They are not the greatest as a lot of the edges are broken and chipped but in the Spring (when it warms up enough to fiberglass again...) ???, I can pull a couple sets for you to start with to sand and fill to clean up.

I have not taken any panels out of the molds yet so I have no idea what they will ultimately look like but it will at least be a starting point for you if you want.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV