Thread: 355 questions

355 questions

First off I would like to say that I decided to join this site becasue I found the information very valuable and also the people who reply seem to be very knowledgable about building kits cars.

After a long delay I am finally ready to continue work on my 355 kit (http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/ferrari_spyder/index.html) while going through some of the topics I came up with several questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1.) As you can see from my web site, my front and rear clips have the bumpers attached. Is it worth the time and effort at this point to sepperate the componets?

2.) I am planning on sepperating the door vents and making a 1 piece rocker panel. How much work will this be and has anyone delt with the window yet?

3.) I am concidering going with the held motorsports wide track setup for both the front and the rear. Has anyone done this yet? and if so how did it turn out?

4.) the stock brakes need to go. I have seen alot of information on converting to a berreta brake syetem but i want more stopping power. seeing that I am on a very tight budget, is there a way to use say a camaro or corvette brakes and make a new caliper bracket? I have seen alot of information on converting to a berreta brake syetem but i want more stopping power.

5.) Has anyone used real ferrari tail lights and side marker lights?

I know i asked a few questions and im sure I will have many more once I get into each phase. I dont want to have to something over again and again. I am already looking for another frame becasue I am not happy with my welding job (first attempt).

thank you!!

Re: 355 questions

Welcome to the group Glenn. It's funny, but your site is probably one of the first I found when I started looking up 355 info. I just assumed you finished and never updated the site... I really can't answer your questions from experience, but I have seem the answers posted here before.
    The first question is subjective. It depends on how accurate you want to be.
    The second question is here: http://www.madmechanics.com/cgi-bin/...num=1034301657
    For the fourth, how about Grand Am brakes: http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhi...ro/brakes.html
    or
    A reasonably priced Wilwood system: http://www.ipass.net/~fieroman/terra...kes/brakes.htm

Good luck....
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

While on the topics of 355s, can everyone post th epictures of the brackets they fabricated ot mount the different parts of the body?

Thanks
    Ari

1) If you do want to cut the bumpers to make them seperate I reccomend that you mount the panel first and then cut it. *This will save you the trouble of trying to line up the panels later.

2) A lot of people are interested in seperate rocker panels. *If it was easy to do everyone would be doing it already. *I think the main issue is the window track at the bottom.

3) I have the Held widetrack supsension front and rear. *It is all high quality and worth the money. *The only problem I have had is finding someone to make longer axles for the rear suspsension. *(FYI for newbies - there are no front axles as the Fiero is rear wheel drive only) *I think I have found a place that can make the axles though. *I will post information once I get them.

4) There are lots of brake choices. *Sometimes just getting a new set of Fiero brake parts will make a big improvement. *Besides Held, Archie and West Coast Fiero have brake packages.

5) A lot of people do use real Ferrari lights. *DKOV can get whatever you need. *For me the price wasn't worth it. *I am using 1982 Corvette taillights -$46 each. *The front turn signal lights are from a 96 Toyota Camry. *I got these for $12 each instead of $112 for Ferrari ones. *These lights (Corvette and Camry) are not exactly like Ferrari but they are fairly similar. *The important thing is to make the fit look good like it is OEM and not some plastic junk. *Here are two 355 replicas using the same turn signal (96 Camry style) *I think you can see the difference.

Ari - I will try and get some pictures of how I am mounting my body next weekend. *Here is what I am using:

Flat metal rods 36" long by 2" wide
    1" Square tubing
    Polyurethe glue
    3/8 x 2 1/2" bolts with 3/8" nuts
    Rubber washers with 3/8" inner diameter

Cut the flat rods into 4" - 10" sections to be glued to the inside of the body. *To make the metal contour to the inside panel just put something under one end of the metal and hit it with a hammer. *Work it until it matches the curve of the fiberglass. *Then glue it to the inside of the body panel (clamps are helpful)

Now with the square tubing I make two pieces, one*welded to the car frame and one welded to the newly glued metal on the fiberglass. *You want these pieces to overlap and so you can use two bolts to secure the pieces together with a rubber washer between the two square tubing. *Similar to how you adjust the back of a baseball cap for size. *

I am doing it this way so I can take off the body panels if needed. *Using two bolts for each connection prevents rotation. *Also between the polyurthene glue and rubber washers I hope to minimalize the stress on the fiberglass to prevent cracking.

In follow up to the turn signal issue. My kit has turn signal sockets that are the size of 355 lights. The camry turn signal is narrower, there is space above and below it. Ari - how hard is it to work with fiberglass? I think the area is too big for bondo which will shrink a little over time anyway. I really like how your turn signals fit now. How much work did you have to do to make them fit?

Ari - I looked at you Diary again and it appears as though your kit's turnsignal sockets started out a lot closer to the right size than mine are. I will try and get picture to show you my situation. Any advice you have working with fiberglass would be helpful though.

One thing I've found works very well when trying to get a very tight fit over something such as a turn signal is to cover the turn signal in mold release agent, and basically pull a something similar to afiberglass mold off of it - what you want to do is create a socket which the light fits into perfectly. Then take this socket and fiberglass it into the turn signal socket of your car (assuming that the turn signal socket on your car is too big. Bam, perfect match.