Thread: Dash upholstery help

Dash upholstery help

I am sure I saw a tutorial here somewhere on recovering your fiberglass dash, but I can't find anything with a search. I think it talked about covering first with a 1/4 inch foam pad. I wonder if that foam step is necessary as most car dashes are not padded these days due to the use of air-bags. I was sitting in a new Honda the other day and noticed the dast to be as hard as a rock.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Re: Dash upholstery help

I think the leather (vinyl) glued right over the fiberglass looks the best or more factory like you have to be wary of any imperfections in the fiberglass and fill them or sand them out tho .....john

One thing you kind of have to watch out for when going directly over fiberglas is the "heat" factor. If you've just got a show car that isn't outside much no big deal but I've seen fiberglas start "off gassing" some and bubble up materials even at a long car show. The foam gives you a little buffer to prevent that. If you notice too, many upholstered dash units don't really have the foam or material hard glued down, instead a lighter more flexible glue is sprayed on the foam and material and the hard gluing is done as a wrap underneath the edges. Again this allows more for expanding and contracting of the dash.

A couple of good books are Automotive Upholstery Handbook , and Custom Auto Interiors by Don Taylor. Available online at Motorbooks.

Thanks all.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !