Thread: New to kit cars.

New to kit cars.

Hey,

I've known about kit cars for a long time, but never paid any attention to them until now. I am really starting to get into this and would like to learn more about them. I just have a couple of question I was hoping some of you more experienced kit car builders could answer.

1) How much does the average kit car cost? (finished)

2) What is the best site to buy a kit off of?

3) After the donor car has been stripped, do the new parts simply fit in or his the modding to be done? If yes, how much?

Thanks,

David

Re: New to kit cars.

Welcome to the board David;
    1) Average kit costs this can vary greatly it depends what type of car you are trying to replicate and what chassis the kit would be based on. Examples-VW based kits probably the least expensive but you have limited cars to replicate.

2)The best place or site to buy a kit? Depends wether you want a turn-key or you do almost everything.
    E-Bay is good to find some kits that are anywhere from partially built to full blown turnkeys. This site the Mall section is good, Pennocks Fiero Forum can be good at times if your looking for a Fiero based kit car.

3)Fitting depends on the kit manufacture it can be as simple as a direct bolt on to custom welding and fabrication.

I would suggest reading this entire site and looking over Pennocks if you are thinking of a Fiero based kit car. It really depends what you want as the final product.
    Take care. Bill

Thanks a lot. That helps a lot.

I personally love the Fiero chassis for building a replica. Its already a mid-engine chassis, there are loads of aftermarket suspension and brake upgrades. There are also numerous proven engine and transmission combinations that vendors provide kits to simplify the installation. The interior is easy to customize and Mr. Mikes in Florida will make you great seat covers in almost any color combination you would want. Models that I own and you can find on various sites for sale are the "Aldino" a Ferrari knock off of the Koenig 512BBI, Meras (a GM Ferrari 308 Replica), Ferrari F40, Ferrari 355 Berlinetta or Spyder and the Testarossa. There are also 328's, 288's, F50's (rare I am currently looking for one), Ferrari 360, then you can get numerous Lambo kits for the Fiero chassis and a replica of the Ford GT-40 and the Panterra. I have probably left out a few. Other replica kit examples are the Ferrari 365 built on a Corvette chassis and Mercedees SL500 built on Chrysler LeBaron I have one of each of these as well. Other cars used for replicas are the Corvette used for a Ferarri 360 and Ford Mustang for the Mercedees 500 convertable. I hope this helps some more.
    Take care Bill

Hi David,there is a price for every budget (ebay),Just remember that the Labroghini kits usually run double the cost ($25,000).Just remember if it looks like junk it probubly is,take your time when ordering a new or used kit car.

The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!