Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is there a big brake system that will work on a 1988 fiero?

is there a big brake system that will work on a 1988 fiero?

hi im currently looking for a big 13 inch brake system for a 1988 fiero,with 18 inch rims. im looking for the big brake calipers as well. any idea where to find some? will the wilwoods or corvette calipers fit the 88 fiero? im looking for the large brake system with the long calipers going all the way across the rotors. thanks for any info.

Re: is there a big brake system that will work on a 1988 fiero?

HI all,

Check out WCF, that's West Coast Fiero, for their brake kit...... The site below will take you to the main page of their braking systems they offer.... Just give them a call after checking out the products and go from there.....

website: http://www.westcoastfiero.com/brakes/brakes_13.html
    Also, try here: http://www.heldmotorsports.com/Fiero/KitCarBrakes.htm
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

HT motorsports also sells a big brake kit. It uses Wilwood components. I've got this on my car.

http://www.heldmotorsports.com/Fiero/KitCarBrakes.htm
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

I used the HMS setup on FunnyWheels. I like the Wilwood brakes and replacement part are easy to obtaim. You need to be careful about putting big brakes on stock Fiero spindals. They seem to twist the welds off of the spindal and you could loose a wheel. There are some simple solutions out there using a Camero/Firebird caliper and 11.75 rotors from a mid size Chrysler convertible if your interested.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

thanks my friends, for so much useful info. how about some with even larger calipers? such as these www.automotion.com/Productpage.aspx?pid=10117...
    is there a big brake kit with really large calipers which may look like that , which will fit a 88 fiero? im really looking for the jumbo calipers on 13 rotors in a 18 inch rim.
    and as for the camaro / firebird calipers solutions . yes please tell me more if possible. pics? maybe? thanks for anymore info.

The 11.25" Chrysler rotor conversion is very popular brake upgrade for '84-88 Fiero’s. It has been fairly well documented elsewhere on the internet, so I will not provide much detail. One thing I will suggest is that you use the stock cable mounting brackets and actuator arms that came on the rear calipers. Using the Fiero arms and custom boomerang shaped brackets will result in the cables being too short when the car is at normal ride height and completely useless if the car is lowered.

The conversion uses four rear rotors for a Chrysler Le Baron (they are the correct bolt circle to fit over the Fiero hub). Two of them need to be slightly modified for the rear of the Fiero by enlarging the center hole to fit over the drive axle bolt flange on the rear hub. The stock Fiero front rotors need to be cut on a lathe to make a hub that the new rotor will slide over. The front calipers are from an '85 Camero/Firebird, (Camero/Firebird Rotors do not fit, they are the wrong offset and the wrong bolt circle) rears are from an '85 Cadillac Seville with the cables for the parking brakes. The calipers have many other applications, a complete list is shown below. Stock length hoses can be used. The stock 15" wheels will fit if you grind off four machine bosses from the inside of the wheels and have them rebalanced.

The 11.25 inch brake is a lot of brake and will generate a large amount of torque on the suspension components. You may need to reinforce the lower “A” arms to prevent them from twisting under the loads of big brakes on your Fiero.

Hope this helps,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

thanks for all the help dave its leaning me in the right direction. by the way anyone know if pontiac firebird brakes would fit our fieros? particulary the 88 fieros?

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pric...ormance/Brakes

For the price, WCF has it. I have the 12" break kit from WFC and it looks good with my 18" wheels. After all the 12" brakes is only $325 and you do not have to worry about replacing the calipers, or master cylinder. I am sure that a 13" are better, but I cannot see spending two grand when 12" brakes are so much cheeper.

Here is a picture of WCT 12" brakes on my 88 Fiero with 18" rims.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

thanks all for the info.
    but i have another question, i was wondering is it possible to swap out the original fiero hubs out of a 1988 fiero? for maybe a aftermarket / or another hub? in order to put in a new big brake system with large calipers which will go all the way across the 13 inch rotors on a 18 inch rim. im trying to get one of those huge wiiwood or brembo brake calipers going across the 13 inch rotors. im looking for the look of the huge calipers. will this work? or not? thanks for any info.

If you are going to be changing suspension components and brakes, then there is no reason to use the 88. You might as well get an 85-87. NAERC sells a C5 suspension for the Fiero. It uses the 13" C5 brakes and spindles. I saw this suspension last year at Knott's and it looked great.

http://www.naerc.com/html/chassis/de...rake/index.cfm

I am using an 88 for my kit car build. If I were to start over, I would not use an 88. Yes, they do have the best suspension and brakes, but after all of the modifications it is pointless. Plus 88s have a custom bearings that you cannot find anymore. (please do not talk to be about the after-market bearings that are known to brake)