Thread: SBC Mounting Question

SBC Mounting Question

A friend has a 350 SBC sitting around for my taking. I was always intending on using this as my powerplant, regardless to whether or not I get this particular one.

My question is for the chassis construction. How far apart should the frame rails be to adapt to the engine? In other words, how wide is the mounting-brackets footprint? I am aware custom brackets are requied for a lot of projects, made from scratch... Does anyone have a template drawn out that I could blow up and use? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for any help you can provide.
    -Rob

Re: SBC Mounting Question

Is this for use in a Fiero donor?

If so, you don't really have to do any major "frame" / K-member modifications. You will however need a V8 Archie or other brand Adapter to mount the engine to a suitable Transmission such as a Getrag, 4T60 etc. The front engine mount is welded directly to the K- member and that's really the extent of the "mods" to the chasis.

Try a search over at Pennocks Fiero Forum. There is a ton of info there. I'm doing my 2nd SBC v8 swap now.

For a custom frame, this would obviously not apply.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

no. no existing frame. nothing. blank canvas. lol. custom everything

thank you though.
    -Rob

Nick in Japan

the engine from a Camaros??

Looking on the net

try this site they may help

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=1621828

what I am looking for really, is an approx. width for the engine bay. the 2 main frame rails which will hold the engine brackets... how far apart they should be. :-\
    -Rob

I have mine set to 25" on centers of 2x2 beams

Quote Originally Posted by Epic
    no. no existing frame. nothing. blank canvas. lol. custom everything

thank you though.

I figured that might be the case. I have done a few custom setups on previous track only cars. I'll see if I have some measurements as well. There were a few "kits" that were available at Jegs / Summit etc which consisted of the mounting points for various SBC's and BBC's that were "adjustable". Once you fabricated your frame rails / engine bay, they would extend from it toward the engine. The adjustment was very large so you could have something as narrow as 15" for a straight-6 or slant-6 application to as wide as 40" or so (at the width of the lower portion of your engine).

A little hard to describe. I'll see if I have any info I can scan for you. Essentially they were 1/2" plate steel with your motor mount pattern that would bolt to your frame, they would then extend with either 2x2 square or triangle stock which could be cut to length and then welded to your "actual" motor mount pad. This allowed you to suspend your engine from overhead hoist and align and then take measurement to the frame. Slotted holes in the upper motor mount base section would allow for some fine tuning of the mount itself so the length was the only thing you needed to measure correctly.

Also available for the SBC and BBC is a front mounted engine mount which mounts to the front face of the engine and extends like a big triagle to the left and right sides of the engine. These really came in handy when mounting the front portion of the engine solid to a front portion of a custom frame. I beleive at the time, there was also an engine mount that would "sandwich" between the engine and trans for some applications as well.

I'll see what I can find.
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

thank you very much. this is a huge help.
    -Rob

If the dimensions look anything close, then get a hold of a motor and measure for yourself. We all have good intentions here, but it would be really sad if you went to install the motor and a measurement was a little off.