Thread: ferrari 328 engine grills

ferrari 328 engine grills

I am having problems trying to figure out how to create the engine grills on the trunk of my 328. How have others done it? I have aluminium slats but I can not get it to look authentic in the least.
    Thanks

Re: ferrari 328 engine grills

Where are you at?

If you are close to PA (Northeast), you're more than welcome to look at mine in person. I can take some pics if you need them.

Mine were partially assembled when I got the car so I didn't actually design them but they look excellent. I'm working now on metal headlight and hood louvers and a more realistic GTB sail panel windows / grilles.

Brian

Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

I am in southern Virginia. What I am trying to avoid is having to pay someone to TIG all 40 some slatts. So I was hoping to find a way to interlock them or make them from fiberglass stock.

I'd try to lean to the aluminum / interlock etc.

The fiberglass "vents" were one of the things I hated most about my replica. I'm even working on metal louvers for th sides of the car and headlight area to get rid of the fiberglass ones.

Maybe you could design the support aluminum from aluminum angle stock and then rivet them instead of tig welding if you need to.

Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

sounds like a good plan. If you get the side vents figured out please share you method, I do not like mine either.

I surely will,

They've been pretty difficult so far.

Since mine is a hardtop (GTB), I'm trying different ideas for a glass window and small vent behind the window like on the original 308 GTB.

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

TRY READING THIS ,ARE CONTACT them to make you one ,i bet you like this.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/080791.html
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Those are the ones that V8 Archie did.

I like the work for the rear decklid but I don't care for them for the headlight, hood and side sail panel areas.

I've tried various configurations with "aluminum stock" etc but all looked pretty basic and not quite right.

I finally convinced (begged) an local metal fabrication shop produce me a run of some extruded aluminum "fin stock" for me. It wasn't cheap but now I have stock that is appx 3/16" thick with a true finished / beveled edge that looks like a factory piece. They actually beveled both edges for me.

I'll have to take a few pics and post them.

I also had 4 small samples made in: Plain Aluminum Stock, Clear Anozided, Anodized Silver and Anodized Bronze (almost black). I prefer the stock aluminum because it can be prepped and painted. The anodized is ok but I don't think it's cost effective.

Now that the pattern has been made, he can run me more when I need it. Right now , I have 8 - 8 foot lengths for the first run. I'll post pics as I get closer to having the hood grille and Headlight Grilles cut and ready for assembly.

I would be very interested in this.
    I am looking forward to pictures, I am interested in buying some too.
    Thanks for the help.
    James

kit4me I am going to E-mail you

Shoot me an e-mail. I'll send you some pics of the stock I had made. It's hard to get really up close pics but I have a few that will show you the "detail" of the stock.

I based my original "preference" on the stock I wanted off of the "fake" hood vent on my 308 replica which looks pretty close to the real 308 Q.V. hood grille. In fact, to show how accurate they make the stock, I measured the fake vent with a digital micrometer and now if I lay the metal stock into the fake hood vent, it looks identical. I'll get a pic of that too.