Thread: 3.8 Buick in a fiero?

3.8 Buick in a fiero?

Will the 3.8 buick fit in? Like from a 92-96

Re: 3.8 Buick in a fiero?

Yes, it should bolt right up to the Fiero Transmission. If you've got an automatic, use the beefier Buick trans as well. There are several versions of the engine, including a stock supercharged version(series II??), which is probably the one you want. Although it is a bolt up, you will still need to make/buy transmission mounts, mesh the two wiring harnesses, (get new axles if you keep the Buick trans), and of course plumb it. There are a few places that will do the swap for you, or source parts (I remember reading something about a special accessories bracket for the alternator?):
    http://www.fastfieros.com
    http://www.westcoastfiero.com

lots of swap info at:
    www.fieroaddiction.com

There's lots of info here and on Pennock's, search for 3800 swap on Pennock's and you'll find loads of info, nd probably some build diaries, as well as a breakdown of the different variations on the engine, and which one is the best donor. Best wishes with the swap.

Found this here: http://www.fastfieros.com/tech/3800_FAQ.htm
    1. ENGINES: What engine do I find in the salvage yard for my installation. There are several 3800 based engines. I will cover what I consider the easiest to find and it has all the "right" stuff to start with. First, we want power and dollar for dollar value in what we do. The 3800 SuperCharged engine in Series II 99-03 from the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP is about the best you can buy. It has the correct oil filter housing, the correct supercharger tensioner assembly, the correct engine coolant temp sensor, and a few other small details that make this engine the best choice to look for.

It isnt the supercharged... so we shall see. Thanks for the help! :-)

If you are going to do all that work it does not make sense to run a NA engine. You should go with the SC right from the start, you will be happy you did.

Jim

I put a front wheel drive 3800 into my car. The rear wheel drive has the wrong bolt pattern (like a small block Chevy) for the Fiero transaxle. Mine is a Normally Aspirated 1999 Buick and has plenty of get up and go. I have no cat, bigger injectors and a different mapping of the ecm done by Duane Cox. My plan is to install a turbo on the engine later this year to provide a little boost (free horse power from the exhaust). I realize this is a departure from the SC engine but I have always wanted a turbo engine.

I am working on the plumbing this month. The hardest part is getting the air flow from the turbo into the intake using an intercooler. I think in the end it will be different enough to have people take a second look.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I would put the intercooler in the wheel well. Since you have the full scoop on your car Funnywheels, the wheel well area will get a lot of air. If you seat it well, it should work great.

That is a good idea but I thought the longer the intake tubing the longer the turbo lag building up pressure to create boost. Maybe ducting to the intercooler from the door scoops? I have oil coolers in them along with rear brake ducts, I could make a air duct into an intercooler.

I could put it in the previous trunk space.
    Attached Images Attached Images