Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for kit with minimum cutting.

looking for kit with minimum cutting.

I have been looking at a lot of kits lately. I really want to build one when I get back from Iraq. I have looking at Fiero based kits but it seems like everything I've come across requires the frame to be stretched and widened. I want to do as much work as possible myself and I have no experience with that kind of modification. Are there any kits out there that don't require the donor's frame to be cut?

Re: looking for kit with minimum cutting.

Welcome to the forum. I trust this email finds you safe and getting short!

With regard to a kit with minimal cutting, that might be something from Norm's Fiberglass listed on this forum. He makes IMSA race bodies for Fiero's that just need to have the old panels removed and the new wide body panels installed with the addition of brackets. I have simplified that process but it is fairly easy to do.

The next step might be a 308 kit that is a little more work than a wide body kit and you get the Ferrari look. If you choose to move to the next level, John Watson, Air Dynamics located in Tennga, Georgia will get you into a 355 Ferrari on a stock wheelbase Fiero. Several people on this site are building those cars with great success, I have one myself.

You might even find one that someone started and is now available in the Mall Section of theis forum.

Anyway, take care of yourself while you're in country. I have 2 family members there.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

You can also look for a kit for an unstretched Fiero. There are a few out there for the Countach and Diablo, however the unstretched Diablos look just plain weird (to me). The Countach can get away with it as they're only short by a few inches.

Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

Some of the 355 kits require a 3 inch stretch that can be done by only stretching the engine cradle, and drilling new holes for shock mounts. If you're only worried about the integrity of a cut and rewelded chassis, this is another option.

The F40 and Ferrari 308/328 and boxer kits require the least body modifacations that I know of.. No cutting the chassis or roof.. Doors keep stock hinges and door frame..Stock fiero windows as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ferrari

The F40 and Ferrari 308/328 and boxer kits require the least body modifacations that I know of.. No cutting the chassis or roof.. Doors keep stock hinges and door frame..Stock fiero windows as well...
    This sounds like it might be the way to go for me for a first build. I really like the idea that there is no chasis or roof cutting involved. I don't have to worry about messing up the frame if I try to do it my self. (or I wouldn't have to pay someone to do it which saves money). Being able to use the windows from the fiero is a huge plus too. Is that all the glass or just the doors?
    The IMSA race bodies sound good too. Atleast this gives me some more ideas and options.
    Thanks everyone.

You also might consider V8 Archies Finale or Fino kit. They are both bolt on and require just a little sheet metal removal upfront under the headlights which can be done with a sawzall. No frame mod.s used at all. One thing I really like about the Finale kit I'm buidling is that you can move the front and rear clips around incrementally to achieve good gaps. He has also switched to Dodge Stratus headlights in the kit which I think fit much better than previous lights supplied with the kit. Keep in mind I'm doing all this labor myself, but it still took me only about 9 hours to strip my 86 fastback down to the rolling chassis and just over 50 hours to get the entire body, doors, headlights, tailights, and rear hatch mounted. That's a very fast build in terms of kits nowdays. Granted I'll put 300 to 400 hours in body in paint work but that's only because I want it built to show quality standards as well as "bulletproof" for weekend trips. Check out the kits at www.v8archie.com

I have actually been looking at the Finale and the Fino kits today. I've pretty much decided that I'm going for one of them. I also saw the interior kit that they have. Looked pretty nice to me. Its a little more rounded to match the lines of the Fino and Finale rather than the squared stock Fiero interior. Plus, it's cheaper than haveing a custom fiberglass interior made.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelK
    You also might consider V8 Archies Finale or Fino kit.

Check out the kits at www.v8archie.com
    Do you have any photos of your build?? I'd like to see one of those kits unfinished....Good luck with it!

VK

Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Yes, I do have some pics. I've taken as I went along so far. Let me dig into my photobucket account later this evening and I'll post some links.