Thread: centerforce clutch questions

centerforce clutch questions

Will be installing a dual friction centerforce clutch between my 2.5 5-speed and the 4.9 caddy. I assume i also need to replace the throw out bearing (?release bearing?) as well. Really new to manual tranny stuff so any help much appreciated.

mike
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: centerforce clutch questions

You have dual friction discs for a 4.9? That will be overkill but it should last a long time.
    Make sure you use a splined pilot shaft when installing the clutch to the flywheel. Both discs need to be in perfect alignment or you will never be able to mount the transmission.
    Replacing the release bearing is a must. Make sure you grease all the pivot points for the release fork too. Make sure you grease the pilot bearing in the crankshaft (may not have one) and grease the splines too. Too much grease on the splines will fly outwards and damage the discs so not too much grease on the splines. The grease I recommend is SuperLube Synthetic.

I used centerforce clutches back in my Porsche days. I think it is one of the best made. I agree with jdinner the dual friction is probably overkill but I always like to error on the safe side and that set-up should last you many years. Replacing the release bearing anytime you change the clutch should be a must. I personally don't think you should ever change one without the other. Why? According to clutch manufacturers, the clutch friction parts (unless you burn up the clutch because you don't know how to drive) and release bearing have about the same life cycle of hours of use. If you install a new clutch and keep a release bearing with a few thousand hours on it, chances are you are going to go back in there to replace it before the clutch is ready for servicing.

Just my .02

Bart

I just bought one of the 6 speed trannys for future use with my N*. I thought that the concensus was the spec clutches were better than the centerforce.

From what I have read SPEC is a good product, I just posted because of my experience with Centerforce. Of my circle of friends who have performance and sports cars, most are still using Centerforce. I was not trying to promote anything over another, I just happened to know about Centerforce.

Not planning to set any records with the car, if the dual friction is overkill then what would you recommend? have been told that a stock clutch works fine but don't take it for granted...you'll soon pay for it. Just wanted to put in something stronger while I was at it. A once of prevention is much better than a pound of cure. Its a isuzu five speed if i have not mentioned it. Suggested dealers would be great.

mike
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Mike, if your project budget can afford the centerforce dual friction stick with it. It will likely be the only clutch you will ever buy. And, it is a sports car, you may not intend to race it, but you can't own a car like that without showing off once in a while. Or at least I can't.

I buy mine locally, I'll see what I can find for you.

Bart