Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How safe are wheel spacers?

How safe are wheel spacers?

I am currently useing 2 inch wheel adaptors (spacers).How safe are they?Are you useing wheel adaptors?How wide are they and how long have you been useing them?Im still trying to decide on the wide track suspension.
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Re: How safe are wheel spacers?

Anybudy?
    The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

In my mind, spacers and adapters are 2 different things. Spacers use the same wheel stud to hold everything together and adapters don't.
    With a spacer, the stud extends from the hub, through the spacer and through the wheel. ----very safe
    An adapter on the other hand is a bit more complex. The stud on the hub only holds the adapter to the car, not the wheel. The wheel is held on by studs that are built into the adapter. --- not so safe
    You probably knew this, I'm just rambling............
    My Caddy powered chassis has drag race style [long] studs on the rear with a 2 inch thick SPACER and Cobra wheels. There is no way I would run adapters on the "power end" of a hotrod.
    My front end is the Grand-Am upgraded Fiero suspension with ADAPTERS. I feel safe with adapters on that lightweight front. Hope that helps.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Adapters are fine if you get the right ones. The ones I am useing are hub centric and have real lugs in them not treaded stock as some adapters use. Spend the money get really good ones and you'll be fine.

I do not know how to answer this question with out opening myself to a law suit.

I will say that I am using wheel spacers on my car and that I did not get cheep ones. They are hub centric, use the expensive bolts and built by someone who knows what they are doing.

I have also heard of / seen what happens when wheel spacers brake. Not good.

I lucked out and was able to get the complete Held wide suspension 13" brakes off a kit I parted out. I think that the spacers/adaptors make perfect sense to get your kit on the road without spending a fortune, but if I had gone that way I would be considering it a temporary solution.

What ever you do, spend the money and get the best quality you can. My Lambo came with adaptors and diffrent wheels that I think were over tightened. I was on the highway one day and felt a sudden vibration from the front end. I limped the car home and when I took off the front wheels I found both adaptors cracked in half. I sh-t my pants at the thought of what could have been. It was well worth the $1800.00 I spent to get the anniversary wheels made to fit my bolt pattern with no spacers or adaptors.

I have a contact in Tampa that manufactures spacers and adapters for the wheel industry. They are used in racing applications as well as some of the kits built by people on this site. Over the past 8 years of my personal experience using these adapters there has never been one failure. If your adapters crack the part must be one that was cast aluminum imported from at Asian Pacific, not machined from high tensile strength aircraft grade aluminum.

The products that are made for us in Tampa (I use them as well to gain the proper offset) are top notch. Hardened studs, hub centric and lug centric fitment are the keys to insure you have a solid fit and proper alignment without high speed shaking. I use Ferrari OEM rims on FunnyWheels, a Ryane Motorsports front suspension in a +5 (2.5 per side) plus a ĺ inch adapter. I use 3 inch long drag racing studs in the adapter and never have any problems. The rear had a Held Motorsports anti-bump steer in a +6 (3 inches per side), a 2 inch strut off set bracket (need that so the strut will clear wide rims) and a 2 ľ inch wheel adapter.

I have used bad wheel spacers on a wide body Porsche I once owned (that is how I met Jim) and great wheel adapters from Jimís business in Tampa. It boils down to how well the adapters are manufactured and that usually results in a premium price. Jim produces them for our site members at dealer pricing. So it is a win, win solution for all of us.

Regards,

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

When you use spacers or adapters on your hubs you are putting a great deal of stress on your wheel bearings If your tire is not centered on your hub. Your bearings are short lived.

I've always heard that, plus in front you can limit your turning radius. Wouldn't offset wheels have the same effect?