Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: changing color from red to black

changing color from red to black

Well, I am going to give painting a shot. I have a 91 S-10 that I will practice on before I turn to the Daytona. I want to paint both the same w/ black and then clear coat. I figure I will make many mistakes on the S10. My first ? is: Compressors. Is this 5.5 HP http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...er&DRC=2&IRC=2

good enough for painting?

I bought the Neil Slade DVD on painting a car. It's an OK overview, but just not enough details like: spry paterns/ adjustments to gun/ and working w/ fiberglass. If anyone knows of some great websites that can get me going in the right directions I would appriciate the info.

I am a perfectionest and from some of my reading I may just prep the Daytona and take it to macco for the final block sanding and painting. I will do the S10 completely; after all it is my work truck and I should learn enough to do the jams and under the hood and trunk on the Daytona. Since I am changing the color from red to black.

Re: changing color from red to black

If this is your first time, the best advice I can give you is to go very slowly, and sand a lot.

Remember not to stop at the end of whatever panel you are doing, as there will still be some paint coming out at the end and will end up building up at the edge. Just keep going past the panel, or stop spraying a split second before you complete your sweep (this is where the practice comes in).

I can't see the compressor you're talking about as that link goes to a registration confirmation, but it is going to depend on the size of the tank as well.

Pick up a piece of sheet metal and spray on that before you even touch the s10. You'll get the hang of it very quickly but you need to get a feel for how the gun is going to act before pointing it at your truck.

After you paint your truck, I have a feeling you'll do about as good of a job as Maaco.

Thanks for the pointers. The specs for the compressor are:

15 Gallon oil free direct drive portable air compressor with vertical space saving design. This air compressor provides 7.7 CFM @ 40 PSI and 6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI.

15 Gallon Vertical Portable Tank
    5.5HP UMC Motor
    7.7 CFM @ 40PSI
    6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI

You might want to take a class or two also. There are a lot of art in painting and it would be helpful to have an instructor give pointers also. Do read all that you can and watch the DVD many times. The more prepared you are, the better the end results will be.

before attacking the s10 , i would recommend getting a hood from a breakers and practicing on that, try holding the hood in various positions such as horizontal , vertical , angled, your technique will have to be modified for each angle, practice makes perfect so they say, Also a "good" HVLP gun will help, no need to go wild the 2 gun kit that eastwood sells will keep you going for years

thanks for the input. I can rent a paint booth for 40$ a day, but the base is 2 hrs away. Pluss I can not sand there, EPA regs. So I would have to spray, leave sand and come back. So, I am still not sure on the compressor size. I have read so many different things. The more the better. So any input will help.

It takes time and experence to learn how to paint.Ive been painting cars for over 20 years and I will make mistakes on ocasion (dont tell anyone ) The money your going to spend on a air compresser and a spray gun you can give to your local profeshinal painter,and chances are that you wont have to spend as near as much if you did your own prep work

That is true about the moneys. But, Iif I buy the equipment and try, at least I will have given it a shot and I end up w/ a compressor for the garage. If after the S10 I see my finished product is not to the standard, well then I will turn it over to a pro. I have crunched the numbers and after all you only live once.

I have been refinishing cars and trucks for about 25 years now. (off and on) It takes some practice to get good results. The best way I found was to read up some on the techniques and then watch someone who's been doing it a while. Make sure you use primers and sealers compattable to your finish color coats. As far as compressors go, I just retired my little old 1 HP 15 gal tank compressor for a 3.5 HP 60 gal model from Harbor Freight with a 15% coupon that I got in the mail. I think I paid a little over $300.00 for it. Keep in mid when looking for a compressor it's not the HP is the CFM of air it puts out. The more the better.They also have a nice water separator there for around $25.00. I also picked up a little detail gun for under $10.00 and it works great for little stuff like around jambs and etc.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by bigsarg1
    Thanks for the pointers. The specs for the compressor are:

15 Gallon oil free direct drive portable air compressor with vertical space saving design. This air compressor provides 7.7 CFM @ 40 PSI and 6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI.

15 Gallon Vertical Portable Tank
    5.5HP UMC Motor
    7.7 CFM @ 40PSI
    6.0 CFM @ 90 PSI
    For a 5.5 horsepower compressor, your CFM is low. My Snap-On 5 horse model is over 13 CFM at 90 PSI, which is important for overall paint jobs. Also, I am wondering if your 5.5 horsepower rating is a true HP or a "peak" HP. They try to fool the consumer on this! Peak HP is what you get that first mili-second when you turn it on. At that point without a load on the motor, with the temperture just right and if the sky is blue then it MAY peak out at 5.5, then settles back to a much lower realistic figure. Shop around and read all the info.
    [I couldn't open the link showing your compressor's specs]
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !