Thread: Manual tranny clutch arm position

Manual tranny clutch arm position

Hello all

I hope someone can help me with this, I'm sure many of you have enountered the same problem. On my 4 spd transaxle, the clutch arm seems to be positioned to far forward. I inserted it with the teeth of the shaft matching the grooves on the clutch arm perfectly. I guess my question is it possible to insert the clutch arm so that the contact point with the slave would be positioned further back, more of a 90 deg angle.? This would mean that only about half the teeth would be engaged with half the grooves. Is this okay?

Thanks
    Paul

Re: Manual tranny clutch arm position

Paul:

There is a detent cut into the shaft where a pinch bolt will go through the arm. If that is lined up you may have popped the release bearing off of the clutch arm shaft. This will keep the clutch from releasing and push the clutch arm fingers into your pressure plate. I only know about this due to a very bad experience with mine.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Ah yes, thanks for jogging my memory. I do recall the groove in the shaft. I also recollect your experience with the shaft fingers. Made me cringe. I don't think I have the same problem as I haven't started the engine with this tranny yet. I think it is just the set up with the V-8, adaptor plate and perhaps the centreforce clutch plate I'm using. The clutch arm probably leans a little forward because of the extra inch it needs to travel to allow for the adaptor plate. I'll try it like this and see how it works. I'll let everyone know.

Paul

P.S. Thanks for responding

Quote Originally Posted by gt40campi
    Ah yes, thanks for jogging my memory. I do recall the groove in the shaft. I also recollect your experience with the shaft fingers. Made me cringe. I don't think I have the same problem as I haven't started the engine with this tranny yet. I think it is just the set up with the V-8, adaptor plate and perhaps the centreforce clutch plate I'm using. The clutch arm probably leans a little forward because of the extra inch it needs to travel to allow for the adaptor plate. I'll try it like this and see how it works. I'll let everyone know.

Paul

P.S. Thanks for responding
    Yes Paul, that was not a fun time in my build process. If you feel the fork is properly installed into the release bearing than your analysis is correct. If you can put a big wrench on it to see if it moves properly then you should be good to go (you should be able to feel the pressure plate on the release bearing). The adapter plate on the V8 conversion should not make another inch of travel though since the concept of using the adapter places the flywheel into the transaxle at the correct spacing to make the transaxle function like it had a V6 still hooked to it. I am still suspect if the arm looks like it is going in an additional inch.

Best of luck,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.