Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I think we got probs... whats up with this wheel gap

I think we got probs... whats up with this wheel gap

Ok so I put the body temp on the car and found out about how big the wheel gaps are. Now I have coil overs in the back but I dont think I can lower it much more maybe 1"-1.5" Now Im just wondering how can I make this wheel gap disappear? It almost looks like I need 22" rims (which ant happenin)

The above shows how low it already is

So what should I do?

Re: I think we got probs... whats up with this wheel gap

Well, the good news is your yard looks great! I wish mine was that green! Maybe your suspension has not settled, my car looks high everytime I jack it up, then I drive it up and down the drive way and it settles back down low. Just a thought...

Killerx;

I have what looks like the same body from your bodylines.

I ended up cutting all my side panels to realign all the body lines and it brought the rear wheel wells down by about 2" which is about what you are high by the looks of the pic.

Also, the wheel wells are designed around 18" rims and tires so you get a bit more wheel height with the 18" rims but not a whole bunch.

After all said and done, my car is still only about 4" off the ground in proper trim. Ugly speed bump territory for sure.

Hope that helps explain your situation even if it is not really good news for you.......

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Keep in mind, that the fender wells are made to hold an 18 inch wheel then on top of that is like 2 more inches of tire. Another thing, it looks like its got no engine in the back seeing it all jacked up like that, but even with coilover suspension it should be low anyways.

I second DeLorean00's thoughts about settling. I thought my car was way high too, until I had the chance to take it out and let the suspension settle. I'd guess the car dropped about 1.5" or so, especially in the front. Maybe ensure that you allocate for that eventuality, just in case.
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg

The car does settle. Especially when you change suspension components. For my kit I went with the 18" rims and tire height to match OEM F355. With the Fiero wheels on the car, it looked about what you car looks like. Once I put the 18" rims on, the rear sit perfectly at 2" between the wheel and the wheel well. I had more issues with the front. I had 4" between the wheel and wheel well. I lower the car 2" and it was way to much. (it looked cool, but was not particle for the street) I ended up raising it up 1".

I would not worry about the length of widening the suspension nor the height until you get the wheels with tires. Do not guess what the height drop nor suspension widening is. You might get lucky, but more likely get frustrated.

Well I cant thank you enough for all your input to all of you.

Im going to be using 4" spacers in the back and 1.5" in the front for the time being, then after will probably do it right later on.

Now whats the biggest rims you can put on this? it looks like 18" would be really small unless it had 5" of rubber on it
    Also what fake 355 rims are you guys getting? what company/style?

The only thing I could think of is I was mounting the body wrong on the car so maybe ill post pics on how im mounting it as well

Brad

The gap between the top of a 355 tire to the fender well lip is 2 inches. You look like you might have about 8 inches. Either the body is not properly mounted or the coil over shocks are too tall. The lower swing arm of your suspension should be parallel to the ground. When this car is sitting on the ground the lowere swing arm is level with the pavement. I can't tell from the photo if you car is or not.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I though of something else. Are you using 10" or 8" coil over springs? If I remember correctly, 8" is the one you should be using.

I see that you are going to use 4" spacers in the rear, yet you do not have wheels. Good luck finding wheels that you like and have the correct off spacing.

With the HP Racing HP5 18x9 rims with 38mm backspacing on my 88 and DeLorean00's 86 with the AD355 kit and we are using 3" spacers.

I'd like to know if this guy figured it out... As I dont see if the body is mounted wrong if the door panel matches the rear quarter panel... how could it be mounted to high?