Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I make the firewall pretty?

How do I make the firewall pretty?

I am speaking of the area just ahead of my engine on stretched Fiero chassis. It is such a "busy" spot that I feel like covering it up with a custom built sheet of aluninum. A member gave me a spray on ceramic coating but I am not sure if that is my way to go. Wondering if there might be a foil covered material available that I could cut to fit.
    Anyone out there got a firewall they are proud of?
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Re: How do I make the firewall pretty?

Well, I'm still figuring out what to do with mine in my Finale but check out what this guy did with diamond plate....
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/083056.html
    That's a reg. confiuration Fiero there but it does have that nice looking v8 in there too. I was even toying with maybe a special paint effect or mini mural on thin aluminum plate.

I have a rather large roll of very thin (pop can thickness) shiny aluminum I was planning on using to line the inside of the engine bay with..The factory five cobra has aluminum dress up pieces and I wanted to do something similar..

You migh be able to use DynaMat for your application.. It is foil lined sound proofing and is very easy to work with and might provide form and function.. Dynamat is used in many top end audio installs and wouldnt realy look out of place used to soundproof an exotic car..

THANKS all. I was considering an aluminum sheet. Dynamat might work but I coundn't have that brand name screaming at me. I wonder if they make it plain.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

The off brands make it plain without logos, Brastic on this forum has some. I think you can buy it on eBay.

Dale:

I am in the process of (it's a kit car and always in the process of) making my engine compartment look pretty. I made poster board cut outs to fit and make templetes for my car. I am usine polished one side aluminum with quick release buttone in them. The process is working out fairly well. I just take the poster board to a sheet metal shop to bend and shear the material.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dale:

The firewall side of this job is at the shop and will be mirror finish between the Fiero deck lid hinges extending downward about 8 inches. I am also making a part that will attach to the engine and extend to the ridge where the Fiero metal lip is directly above the deck lid hinge that goes the full width of the car. It will say FunnyWheels III upon it in red letters.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Dale;

I got your email and I thought I would post the answer here so everyone else could read as well.

The Lizardskin ceramic coating I sent you can be sprayed using a regular spray gun but you end up having to stop every can or two and clean out the nozzle of the accumulated ceramic material.

I used the regular sprayer and it worked out okay overall but if I had to do it again, and I will be in my cab, I will be getting a larger nozzle sprayer.

Mix it so that it is quite liquid and can spray but not run off the vertical surface. I applied 3 coats with minimal drying time between and that is all it says you need to put on and it will remove up to 10 dB of sound from the engine compartment and up to 100 Degrees of heat transfer. (Not 100% sure on the heat part but the sound deadening I am) I'll check the can tomorrow.

The stuff dries purple believe it or not. When it is dry, I used frame spray paint to make it frame black. Be warned though that it really sucks up the paint before you get a bit of a solid surface sheen that frame paint will normally leave. You can also sand it to remove the bumpy surface before painting if you like so you get the smooth finish.

It worked very well for me and I plan to do the cab floors and inner fender wells of my project once the fiberglassing gets done and the panels are off for finish sanding and primer.

Hope that answers your questions in your email. In my opinion, I would use this Lizard Skin stuff first and coat the firewall and you can always apply the aluminum over it so you get the sound deadening and heat protection and your aluminum look all in one deal.

Cheers
    Don

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

i'd be careful with dynamat in the engine compartment - depending on where you put it, i bet the exhaust heat could melt it ....

I've seen a few people use the water heater insulation blanket to cover the firewall. It is shiney aluminum on thew outside and fiberglass batting on the inside. Also, I believe McMaster Carr sells sheets of a similar material that can be used.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif