Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The facts on painting brake calipers

The facts on painting brake calipers

No, I don't have the facts, I am just looking for the facts I made a couple searches here but......
    Must I use a high-heat paint for this? Any high heat paint I find is in an aerosol can, and you can't buy quality in an aerosol can, only convenience.
    Would an expensive 2-part "epoxy" paint like Dupont Imron work?
    How about powder coating?
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Re: The facts on painting brake calipers

Quote Originally Posted by Daleford
    How about powder coating?
    Probably the #1 way to go.. The powder coating is already heat treated and is how most factory calipers are done..

Its a lot more work and you have to take the calipers off and apart, but the powder will last a long time and clean easily..

As much as it pains me to say, but the cheep paint stuff from Kragen's works. There are a couple of people in the local Fiero club who have used it and it still looks good years later. The parts must be clean, clean, clean in order to stick though.

calipers do not get that hot... beteewn 200 and 250 at most...powder coat melts at 300 and above...if you will prep the calipers, then use stanard motor paint, that will be the most cost effective way to co about it... remeber painting is 95% prep work...5 % acual spraying..Good luck

The two part epoxy caliper paint that you mix together and brush on works really good. It's sold at most auto parts stores. It's very tough, super glossy and most importantly it's resistant to brake fluid.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Quote Originally Posted by jtownsend
    calipers do not get that hot... beteewn 200 and 250 at most...powder coat melts at 300 and above...if you will prep the calipers, then use stanard motor paint, that will be the most cost effective way to co about it... remeber painting is 95% prep work...5 % acual spraying..Good luck
    OK. That is what I was thinking, calipers don't get that hot. If standard motor paint will last then I am thinking what I have on there now shoud be OK. It is Imron by Dupont. A 2 part epoxy paint. It is used on aircraft, boats etc.
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Quote Originally Posted by jtownsend
    FWIW, There are hi-temp powders, also. My buddy wanted to try it out so I had him do my headers in aluminum/silver. Looked great for the 3 years I had the car. Never discolored or rusted.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

I have used hammerite on mine & its been on there ages no probs, maybe after a few years use it starts to dull a bit, but it still looks good.

As was said - clean it & you shouldnt have a problem.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

Eastwood (eastwood.com) sells brake caliper paints. A little pricy but seems like it will do the job. I have not used this yet. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT if the link doesnt work, just type brake caliper paint in the search box. They have several color options.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari-spyder
    Eastwood (eastwood.com) sells brake caliper paints. A little pricy but seems like it will do the job. I have not used this yet. http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT if the link doesnt work, just type brake caliper paint in the search box. They have several color options.
    you can get that paint on ebay for a few dollars cheaper.
    i've used it and it's pretty good.