Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame Reinforcement - I need pics

Frame Reinforcement - I need pics

Well I know this has been beatin to death but I need pics of what needs to be done... I saw some pics of the inside of the car but lost them somewhere... anyhoo could someone post some or even just windows paint where I should be working on

thanks
    Brad

Re: Frame Reinforcement - I need pics

KillerX;

I has, indeed, been beat up a lot here.

A few links to show varous ways to do the reinfiorcement. I for one, think Duane Cox's arrangement to be by far the best way to go.... Without lengthening the Fiero Doors of course.

There is also a thread over on Pennock's by Archie that shows him welding in a pile of 3/8" plate around his tunnel and a tube along his rocker panel for this Finale roadster build. That worked very well for him and it would'nt weigh any more than what we have all done in strengthening our frames I would not think. Easier too......

Cheers
    Don

http://www.madmechanics.com/adding-3...cseen#msg80928

http://www.madmechanics.com/dons-bui...s-t4100.0.html

I can't find Duane's build. Anyone have it bookmarked for KillerX?
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Wow I didnt think the x frame under the car was a must. Im going to go outside right now and take some pics for you guys and maybe ill try to tell you what I saw in a couple of pics. The pics I take will also give you an idea on why Im running away from the x frame

Brad

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Quote Originally Posted by ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER
    Thank you so much Don and ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER

I just did a bucha stuff to the pics to explain what I saw... ill try to explain it right now...

So why am I not looking forward to the X Frame? well here it is

As you can see you can already see the metal bracing I did to the car. Adding an X frame would add another 2-3" below that. Also I would be scraping everywhere I went. (btw my coolent hoses arent hooked up so forget those )

So anyways, if I could get away with it, Id rather do more bracing inside the car other then have a xframe under it.
    I saw a site with pics of something like I did in red in my pics.

Now I know you guys are very smart with the reinforcement in the fiero, Im gonna ask you guys, what do you think? Do you think if I do all the bracing inside I would still need a X frame or can I get away with it? What other bracing would I need?

Brad

Brad;

If you want to only have bracing inside, and I don't blame you for clearance. I set mine up about 3/4" into my cab with a tunnel I built to lift my frame up away from the ground for a bit better clearance. Lots of work though.

Go search the thread on Pennock's where Archie did pretty much exactly what you are talking about inside the car with 3/8" plate.

The thread explains very well what he did and it turned out nicely.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Brad:

I would not use the "X" bracing again. It is a waste of money and time. Don has the right idea. Reinforce along the back fire wall and tank tunnel. The rocker panel frame part can be chopped off and replaced with a 1 X 3 square tubing like DUane did on his car.

By the way, he is selling his body and Ferrari parts, the frame has long ago gone to the bone yard.

I can email photos to you they are too big to poast on this site.

Regards,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I built sub frame connectors from 1X2 tubing running through the floor and it will slide inside the front frame rails when welded. it was like a solid frame car this is the same thing we would do on drag cars but for some reason everyone keeps trying different things. I saw the Archie thing looked like he was building an armor car to take to the war way to much over kill it was good for a laugh. I used four pieces of tubing and it was done and nothing under the car. I will be happy to dig up the pictures and email you if you wish. The hard part is making a top that will work that is the part I never want to try again.
    www.kikkerbikes.com

Quote Originally Posted by FF355spider
    I built sub frame connectors from 1X2 tubing running through the floor and it will slide inside the front frame rails when welded. it was like a solid frame car this is the same thing we would do on drag cars but for some reason everyone keeps trying different things. I saw the Archie thing looked like he was building an armor car to take to the war way to much over kill it was good for a laugh. I used four pieces of tubing and it was done and nothing under the car. I will be happy to dig up the pictures and email you if you wish. The hard part is making a top that will work that is the part I never want to try again.
    can you send me a copy of these pictures. I am curious how you did this and also how you stabilized the door pillars once the top was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari-spyder
    Quote Originally Posted by FF355spider
    can you send me a copy of these pictures. I am curious how you did this and also how you stabilized the door pillars once the top was removed.
    sure send me your email and I will email you what I did
    www.kikkerbikes.com
    www.kikkerbikes.com