Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-enforcing fiberglass and re molding... pics included

Re-enforcing fiberglass and re molding... pics included

Ok guys, I've picked up a widebody kit for a Supra. I havent decided which kit car I will go with so I dropped a little money into a "side project" I'll say. I couldnt pass down the kit because the price was so low since the guy was moving and couldnt move it with him.

Problems are the front fenders are warped bad and the rear quarter panels are thin as paper. Front and rear bumpers are thick as well as the side skirts.

My questions, I know of fiberglass and resin but I have never delt with it. I want to learn, so this is a good start in my book. I am going to make a jig basing it off the bolt pattern of the supra. Going to mount it to this jig, and then work from the inside I guess. What kind of fiberglass do I get, where can I get it? what type of resin should I get. I also am wondering if I should make a roof out of fiberglass and see about creating a complete supra out of fiberglass. I have bumpers, fenders, quarters, side skirts, and buy a carbon hatch and hood, all I'd lack is windshield pillars, roof and upper quarter panels.

Re: Re-enforcing fiberglass and re molding... pics included

oh I forgot about molding the front fenders they are thin as potatoe chips lol and wavy too

this is what the car looks like w/ kit properly installed

Unless you are very good at welding, fabricating, and fiberglassing you won't be building a supra from scratch. And if you did, by the time you were done a real supra would look very affordable. Other than that, I really like the body kit minus the goofy oversized front bumper.
    Scott

Nice kit , but if i were you i would sell it and move on, or you can take on the task of fixing it, but its going to take you a while, or have someone else fix it.

Just to clarify: I don't believe he is building a supra, rather modifying one.

In response to reinforcing the work and fixing the problems. You may be stuck with using kitty hair or bondo with fiberglass in it to smooth out the waves and add some extra strength, and then sanding the part back into shape. It is not the optimal situation but you'll never get the same bond that you do with the initial fiberglass layout.

I wouldnt be making one from scratch although my first post seemed towards the idea. I was thinking of modifying one in the future. I've owned a supra before and I know the cost. I just was looking for some help in making it stronger. I think kitty hair inside the rear quarter panels should do the trick since its already molded correctly.

I love how all these people I've never seen post before keep telling me to sell it and move on. I dont think that was an option I had gave you guys. I'll be straight up with all of you, my friend paid 2500 dollars for this kit 4 years ago. It came to him like this and he was so disappointed that he never installed it. He had to move and he said make him an offer of anything, and I said 500. and he said ok. So with 500 in it, I could easily sell it for 1000 to 1500 in the shape its in now.

lowboost, when you build this car you will need to change you name to HighBoost. These cars are rockets on wheels when built correctly. It looks like you may need to use an electrical conduit tube frame under parts of it to keep it all together. I love the concept. A little coremat on the backside of some of those panels will fix the warps and change the way you look at this body kit. You can do it!

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

What you need is some How-to references. A great book for do-it-yourselfers is Fiberglass & Composite Materials by Forbes Aird . Also, basic online techniques at Fiberglast.com & Fiberlay.com.

Thickness & weight of the panel is determined, in part, by the type of materials used. High performance materials like carbon fiber & epoxy can produce a rigid panel that holds it's shape even with a potato chip thickness. Also, there are mass produced kits that don't even use fiberglass. Some are just vacuum moulded plastic & others are injection moulded plastic/fiberglass mix.

Alot of fiberglass repairs/ secondary lay-ups are made with vinylester resin because of its better mechanical bonding property. Repair jobs won't bond on the molecular level because the panel has already cured long before at the factory.

On warped panels, if the area is flat you can lay-up on the back side & sandwich the area between a couple of flat boards with some clamps or weights. Use plastic sheet to keep it from sticking to the board.

Got to go now. Check out those references.

Lowboost,

I say this: If you think you can do it..... Put on your Nikes and "Just do It"

Amida is correct is stating that you need reference material, read read read and read somemore! I would then start off with small batches of resin and small sections of glass mat to find out what cure rate as well as what lay-up technique works best for you. Note that your cure rate varies depending upon ambient temperature.

If I had listened to everyone that told me I shouldnt or couldnt do it I would still be left with a very stock looking car. Fortunately for me I didnt listen and now everyone that needs fiberglass parts for there cars (69-73 Datsun 510's) comes to me. I now have to my credit 33 molds, five years of experience and the idea that nothing is unatainable because I can now build it myself.

Good luck with your plans

If I had to offer some advice custom made for you Lowboost, it would be to make something out of fiberglass. Use the fiberglass from a hardware store along with the Bondo resin. It's probably going to come out pretty flaky being your first project. Now you get to repair/fix up something before messing with a $2500 kit.