Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Lens Covers....

Making Lens Covers....

can anyone explain the process of making front headlight covers. Im asuming we use Perspex or Plexiglass, heat over a plug untill it forms the correct shape. If so.....does anyone have greater detail than this.
    seems too easy.

Re: Making Lens Covers....

what is this lens going to be used for? if its for headlights, then I wouldnt look towards plexiglass as it scratches Very easy.

im asking for a mate of mine. He's building a custom trike and just wanted to pick my brains. they are for headlamps in the front. what materials and what process if he requires to form these about 3 axis'.

I was in the motorcycle fairing business a long time ago when living in Columbus, Ohio and they are fairly easy to make. The name of the shop was Mud Sweat and Gears, for those of you old enough to remember when a motorcycle business was not a multimillion dollar enterprise.

In order to manufacture a windshield without dimples and lines in it I made a plug/die out of plaster, then had it sprayed with a hard ceramic coating, then polished the die by hand to a mirror like finish to remove all imperfections. Once the die was made I cut Plexiglas slightly bigger than the die. I used 4 heat lamps (two on each side) to heat the die then the Plexiglas. The Plexiglas formed over the die from the heat of the lamps, excess material was trimmed off and a flawless windscreen emerged to attach to our motorcycle fairings.

From a production perspective, I could make one per hour while doing other things in the shop. I used them on side cars as well without any problems for years. A simpler version of this might work for your friend but the process will be similar.

Hope that helps you,

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

i was wondering about the heat from the lights. wont the plexiglass tarnish or tistort under further heat?? although come to think about it, if your on the move you are always cooling them down any way.

as far as the industry's going. Blame Paul junior and senior of OCC

Quote Originally Posted by XPERT360
    i was wondering about the heat from the lights. wont the plexiglass tarnish or tistort under further heat?? although come to think about it, if your on the move you are always cooling them down any way.

as far as the industry's going. Blame Paul junior and senior of OCC
    I had my lights on stands not very close to the plexi, it takes about an hour, no distortion or color fading. Just enough heat to soften the plexiglas.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

:-\ I think he meant the heat generated by the headlamps once they're installed :-\
    Without talent experience is worthless

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes
    Products such as: Lexan,
    I beg to differ.... Lexan, while very clear, is actually 'softer' than plexiglass, and will actually scratch much easier. It is also harder to form certain curves, especially compound ones. My Koenig uses plexi for the headlights, and yes it scratches but polishes out easily. There is a plastic polish (most large plastic manufacturers/stores carry it,) and it is excellent for minor scratches. Cleans them right up!!! They're on their sixth year, and I'm still happy with them! The car has been though a zillion washes, along with the inevitable BUG season.
    my .02
    Sandy
    EDIT: just spent 1/2hr looking for the product... can't find it(name) and ended up spilling a whole frigging box of SPIC & SPAN over 30 pairs of my wife's shoes, it's in EVERYTHING, ARGGGH! screw that, search it out yourself at a plastic shop, it's good stuff! White plastic bottle with red lettering.

I have a question related to this thread and need some help. How thick is the plastic used in headlight covers, ie, 360, 430 Lambos etc?

Mike

At a guess, Id say 4-5mm thick. mybe Stevo or Clones can tell us. Ashley - EXTREME should know as I think he makes these from scratch?????? MAY BE TELL US WHAT THE MATERIAL IS TOO