Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED MURCIE HEADLIGHT COVERS MADE

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

NEED MURCIE HEADLIGHT COVERS MADE

Can anyone make lenses from a fiberglass mold or put me in touch with someone with a vacumn form machine ;D 8) ;D

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Re: NEED MURCIE HEADLIGHT COVERS MADE

Check out some of the threads on "Making lens covers" started by XPERT360. That should help alot. It sure gave me some good ideas.

IKR, why not just do a cardboard cutout and take it to a plastics place, they can cut those very easily. I have had some made before and they seemed to work fine. They were not for a lambo but it shouldn't matter.

RUNDLC

Look at picture 3 the cover has a lip edge around it ,this is why i need them vac. formed
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

IKR where did you get the headlight buckets from? I am thinking of changing the light system on my Countach.

By the way fibreglass moulds are not suitable for vacforming. They will not take the intense heat and will distort and sink thus producing crap lenses.
    The tool needs to be made from epoxy tooling resin specifically for vac form tools.Longer production runs use aluminium castings.
    Believe me please, I know exactly what I am talking about. Just trying to save you headaches.
    I have 35 yrs experience in thermoforming and fabrication and own my own plastic fabrication and engineering co. so trust me.
    You may just get away with an epoxy resin fibreglass tool but it's life will be short lived and the very least you would have to do is use a backing compound to thicken it up and give it substance. Remember it will also be under vaccum pressure as well as heat plus compression when air is blown thro the tool to help release the moulding.
    Technical and hands on engineer

The pieces you need are so simple you could almost just make a plaster reverse mold and slow heat the poly under a heat light till it lays smooth to the mold.. The plaster is strong and can handle a good amount of heat and you can press form polycarbonate over the edges with a little help from a heat gun and some gloves.. But a basic vacuum table is so easy to build and you might use it a lot in the near future so you should look into making one..

This page has some information..
    http://www.sg16.ca/Extras/VacTable/vac_table_tips.htm

THANKS , this will help

IKR if you want help let me know, I have a source that has a similar device, if you wat to PM me I can give you more details, if you want to send me a bucket I can have a piece of lexan formed around it. I' just need to see how it slopes in order to make one exact. I'm not looking to make any money, just see if I can do it.

THANKS ,but i have someone working on this