Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for exhaust system.

Recommendations for exhaust system.

Could you guys make some suggestions for tubing/mufflers for my 4.9 cadi - F40 build. Am leaning towards 2.5" T-409 stainless. On ebay it is about $50 per 5 feet, good price? Open to any and all ideas. ;D

Michael
    Bored in Saudi
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: Recommendations for exhaust system.

Mike: I think you could use 2.25 inch tubing and baffle inserts instead of a big honking muffler and have a quiet clean exhaust. I used the bog pipes initially on my 3800 and it was way to loud with a muffler and needed more back pressure to function properly. With a 4.9 Caddy, 2 inch might be enough as well.

The baffle inserts work very well.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Let me first apologize for kind of intruding with a non related post, BUT! it is exhaust related non the less.

My first dumb question is where do you get baffles?

And I have a nissan VG30 (its a 6 banger) and Im looking to get a Ferrari/exotic sound from the exhaust. I know its a nissan and far from italian or exotic but we all have our own builds and our own dreams....., in addition this is a motor swap into a "Datsun 510" so I"m limited to a single exhaust tip, I have headers but no "Y" pipe as of yet. Can someone give me advice on pipe diameter, pipe type, baffles or anything else that will give me that "Exotic Sound"

Thanks and sorry again about the whole Nissan thing.... Oh and I'm broke and poor so I'm on a budget.

Ray steps down off soap box and sits down quietly as all the other members stare at him like !!!! LOL LOL

Mike,
    let me know what you come up with for this. I have a 1991 4.9 caddy engine that is going into my 355 spider this winter. I was planning on using the factory caddy exhaust pipes reconfigured to fit the Fiero. For the muffler, I am not sure if I will reduce the pipes at the muffler and use the factory GT muffler or something else.

Dave, the caddy exhaust is huge! The pipe has to be at least 2.5"

If anyone does try the baffles for the Caddy exhaust, please keep us posted on your results. It would be a whole lot easier to use the baffles than mock up something like this:

(Image was taken from FieroAddiction.com at this link
    http://www.fieroaddiction.com/caddy49f.html

That looks like my setup RHK.. You can take pictures and look over my exhaust when you get here in a couple of weeks Micheal.. The best part is you will be able to to go for a ride and listen to it as well.. ;D

Do you have any issues with heat in the trunk (or did you cut part of the trunk out?) I met a guy at a Fiero show who claimed his 3800 exhaust got so hot it melted the carpet in the trunk (along with his luggage) :-\

Most mufflers will heat up your trunk. There is no room to do it properly unless you use the baffles and a cat.

Most inserts can be purchased at your local sppe shop. They run about $55 each.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

They also have models that fit into the flange itself, the closer to the manifold the better, see pict. Start here for info on the baffles:

http://www.engineceramics.com/hardpart/ccinserts.htm

Also:

www.carchemistry.com

Mark, looking forward to the ride and will hold you to it.

Looks like I will be going to go this route and will try to put it in the next time I am home. The space savings and the simplicity is a big plus. Will go with 3 baffles myself in dual pipes, will somehow split two to three pipes going out the back. Won't be home till mid-Oct if anyone has tried this on a 4.9 I would love to hear from them. A digital recording of the sound would be GREAT.

michael
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Ferrari-spyder,

Could you meaasure your 4.9 exhaust for me and let me know what sizes we have. ??? Mine's in Mississippi, I'm in the middle east, can't quite reach that far. > Would like to order mine while I am over here. Thanks and will keep you posted.

michael