Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Upgrade Corvette Using fieroaddition kit for 85 Fiero

Brake Upgrade Corvette Using fieroaddition kit for 85 Fiero

I am wanting to do this upgrade on my 85 John Watson 355 kit. Anybody that has done it please let me know what you think. I know it will look better but just wondering if saw improvement?

If you were going to use C5 corvette calipers does the rear caliper allow for use of the emerg brake that the 85 Fiero have? If not what are your thoughts on using 88 Fiero rear calipers but corvette calipers on front with 12 inch corvette rotors all the way around.

Just want great daily driver not going to race her.

Thanks Ed

Re: Brake Upgrade Corvette Using fieroaddition kit for 85 Fiero

I've been looking at this as well. I don't know if anyone has caught up to C5 technology incorporated with the fiero. I don't think it would be too difficult. What I was thinking of doing was purchasing front and rear C4 corvette calipers, the mounting hardware from West Coast Fieros and the rest from Fiero Addiction. I think this gives you a nice all round 12 inch rotor look and performance and should utilize the pre 88 e-brake. I believe you will need to change the master cylinder. Alternatively the Fiero addiction kit with front and rear 88 calipers looks great as well and should perform nicely without having to change the master cylinder. This set up may lose the e-brake or it will need to be replaced with 88 cables and routing. The e-brake handle can probably stay the same.

Paul

There is a ton of information on this swap on the fiero forum. I am in the process of gathering the parts to do this one myself. There is also on the forum all the drawings needed to build the brackets etc. at a local machine shop. If you use 88 - 96 rear calipers and rotors, you will retain the parking brake in the calipers. There is also a way to swap over to a larger bolt pattern at the same time. You will want to switch the master cylinder over to a early 80's style which is a bolt in application.

here is the link... it starts at the bottom of page 7 and goes on for a few pages including drawings.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/033676-7.html

i have the entire set-up ready to install the 12 inch corvette brakes onto a fiero. It includes everything including corvette rotors, calipers, adapters, master cylinder, etc. Looking for $1150 or closest offer ....

I think I saw this on ebay but do not remember the details. Can you forward me the old listing and maybe avoid loading it all but again.
    Why are you selling?
    Who made up the brackets? Was this his first time?
    What year are the calipers, are they new remanufactured or used?
    Are the rotor used, new, zinc coated or drilled and slotted?
    Does it include whatever it will take to make the emergency brake work?
    If it includes brake pads what kind,used or new?
    I know there is alot of questions but want to know what you are selling

My objective is to my calipers clear my front spacer/adapter, improve looks and improve braking for a daily driver.

I have three choices

1.one use Fieroadditions kit , with new calipers less then 600 in parts very little work to change out.
    just not sure if just for looks all will get superior braking?

2. Buy Caddy Brembo caliper and 13. inch rotors (on ebay and selling for around 250). Have shop make up brackets use fiero or Corvette rear calipers with 12 Corvette rotors.
    More work and money then I want to do for daily driver

3 Do a Corvette upgrade using 12 or 13 rotors, possible since I would not be able to do this one installation is going to cost more.
    Can find new calipers and rotors for less then 400 but then would have to have my mechanic shop make up brackets. Some say you do not need to upgrade to Corvette proportioning valve or brake booster (I think that it?)and then some say you do without really ever qualifying how more stopping power do you get and how much do you really want or really need?

Very hard at this point to really know if complete Corvette upgrade no less the Caddy brembo is worth the extra time or money.
    Do not know why Corvette brackets cost that much more then the 88 Fiero ones????

cell 678 984 6080 Thanks for your time and what light you can shed on the subject in advance Ed

If any one would like to chime in please do especially to what extra stopping you really get or need

Keep in mind that if the car is any year other than an 88, I believe you said yours was an 85, you will need front hubs. They are simply the existing front rotors machined down to fit inside the new rotor. You can have a machine shop do them or I believe West Coast sells them for about $95 a pair. They will also sell you all the hardware you need which I believe includes the brackets, bolts, concentric rings, not sure if the package includes the hubs for about $325. Not sure if the 4 caliper brake lines will need to be changed as well. If you are purchasing the corvette calipers, make sure the rear calipers include the hardware, springs etc. for the e-brake. Many times, especially if they were previously used on a track car, these parts will be removed. I've seen rebuilt calipers without this hardware as well. It is assumed you will reuse your old ones.

Just wanted to add another 2 cents. I believe you mentioned you had spacers on the front. I would look at first changing the front suspension to a wide track like the one Held makes. There are others as well. It will be like night and day. Your turning radius will improve significantly without rubbing. Also keep in mind that the brake upgrade will bring your wheel out about 5/16".

Paul

Thanks for the info. Bubbajoe site was very helpful
    Would there be much difference in braking improvement with the upgrade using Fieroaddition kit and 88 Fiero calipers or the 84 thru 86 front caliper combined with 88thru 96 rear Corvette caliper. Both appear to be single piston caliper just not sure of size difference of the piston.
    It appears Fieroaddition is the easier and possible less expensive then the Corvette upgrade.

your welcome.. I personally have not driven a car with either one of these brake setups in it but I would think the vette settup would provide better breaking. After all the vette designed as a high performance car and is heavier then the Fiero. I am not sure how large the rotors and calipers on on the 88 fiero either.

my set-up will maintain the fiero e-brake and has all the springs etc. I think you'll need.

I believe the corvette are double piston calipers.

Paul