Thread: Tin foil

Tin foil

The other day I was watching this show where they were souping up some car complete with some body mods. the type of car isn't important,but the method I saw is. They were making some extended wheel flares for this car using foam. Before they applied the resin they covered the foam piece with tin foil. Then after the usuall several plies of resin and mat and curing time, the piece came right off. has anybody heared of this method before?

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

Re: Tin foil

yes it works very well ,on several of my tables the tops are sheets of insulation board 4 by 8 sheets od foil back board an sometime i make flate panels on them they come out smooth on that side
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

That was a great episode of Musclecar. That mustang is going to look wicked when they finish. Just make sure you tape the seams like they did on the episode. If you don't, resin will find its way in there and making removing the part more difficult.

now here's the question......would it be totally rediculous to do that to a large area..say the entire car...in other words use it istead of the plaster we put on thefoam so the resin won't destroy our hard work? ??? ???

its also a precaution for the type of foam you use. if it's reactive to the resin used, it will melt the foam and never cure, so a sheet of something like aluminum foil or a resistant plastic will prevent the 2 from meeting.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

One problem I noticed when making negatives out of aluminum foil was that any wrinkles in aluminum foil (and the propensity is there in a big way) are transferred directly to the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by pschile
    The other day I was watching this show where they were souping up some car complete with some body mods. the type of car isn't important,but the method I saw is. They were making some extended wheel flares for this car using foam. Before they applied the resin they covered the foam piece with tin foil. Then after the usuall several plies of resin and mat and curing time, the piece came right off. has anybody heared of this method before?
    In my younger days tin foil was used to wrap up stuff for the frige, now we need it for hats with the world as crazy as it is these days.

I have used aluminum heat duct tape from Home Depot for this method. After the glass dries, all you need to do is peal away the tape. The tape is thick enough it will not wrinkle. Just cut and paste.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Yes, the duct tape (or as I call it 200 mile per hour tape) works great and is easy to work with. I used it when forming my rear tail light openings. Taped one of the lights with duct tape and used it as my mold. Released nicely. In my younger days, I used to make goalie masks and used green garbage bags as the release barrier with another garbage bag filled with water placed on top for added pressure. Worked great, although you may want to double bag the ones with water.

Paul

I, like Dave, use aluminum duct sealing tape extensively when protecting surfaces when making quick molds or parts that need to separate afterward.

I find the aluminum tape holds the shape very well and is thick enough not to "curdle" when the heat of the glass curing sets in.

Peals off easily and holds a pretty good shape.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV