Thread: Removal of clear coat from carbon fiber??????

Removal of clear coat from carbon fiber??????

Am going to be doing some changes to my F40 design to give it a litte more of a F40 LM look. Have found a great double carbon fiber wing from JSP. It would have to be taken apart and chopped down to work. Also there is a JSP sticker under the wings clear coat I would really like ot see gone. Anyone ever worked with carbon fiber that has tried to do this. I no nothing about carbon fiber other than it looks cool and saves alot on weight. Don't want to purchase this unless I am farily certain I can get it to look the way I want without destroying it. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Re: Removal of clear coat from carbon fiber??????

It is according to how it was molded. Most production CF parts are not clearcoated rather clear epoxy is applied to the mold as a epoxy version of gelcoat. Then the the carbon and resin is applied and and vacuum bagged or infusion method. If it is done this way it will be very difficult to remove the image.
    Some do mold and then apply graphics and clear or clear epoxy and then it will be easier to remove. The problem is identifying which molding method was used. Sorry.

Don't apologize, all ideas welcome. JSP has tried to help a little but when asked if the sticker was removable this is what I got:

Mike, Sorry I do not have any closeups and the sticker is under the clear coat

Dale

Dale Berger
    Sales Manager
    JSP America

So it sounds like to me it is an actual sticker under a layer of clearcoat. When I told them I would be chopping the width down they simply said that was not a good idea and tried to sell me a 'shorter' single.

Again all comments welcome.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

you mean to tell me they put the sticker on the carbon fiber then put the epoxy gel coat over it? that sucks man. I'd look into another style wing, they are a dime a dozen. to me it would be better to get the longest you can find, and cut it down to fit, you'd hate to get one to short!

Quote Originally Posted by lowboost
    you mean to tell me they put the sticker on the carbon fiber then put the epoxy gel coat over it? I'd look into another style wing, they are a dime a dozen. to me it would be better to get the longest you can find, and cut it down to fit, you'd hate to get one to short!
    I think the term is "clear coat" as in spray can of clear lacquer like you can purchase at the local Home Depot.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.