Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mold makers rent a car... is this cheap?

mold makers rent a car... is this cheap?

http://stores.ebay.com/DFW-Elite

I'd be willing to pay a day of rental for a gallardo or aston martin heck even a viper to make some molds of one. how long does it take to make molds? and are those prices even worth it?

Re: mold makers rent a car... is this cheap?

A GROUP RENT ME THINKS. At least 2 weeks hire at a guess. I remember reading a thread with regards to someone wanting to do this on the sly with his mates or boss's car. Is it as easy as it sounds though??? :-\ :-\ :-\

Doesn't sound like a bad idea; although you might want to budget in the cost to repaint the car. I've never done this before, but I can imagine taking the molds could cause some paint damage.

Quote Originally Posted by RHK
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea; although you might want to budget in the cost to repaint the car. I've never done this before, but I can imagine taking the molds could cause some paint damage.
    it can, but if you prep and wax the car good, and tape over some edges I think the paint will be fine. I've seen it done on a race car for carbon fiber parts and was like wow, they made the part in a matter of hours (mold that is). I'm currently reading anything I can about whats best to use. I might try to make some simple parts first, just to make a mold of anything at the moment to see if it can be done at my skill level. You never want to get in over your head ya know.

its been a few years now, but I saw a guy advertise 3d foam cutting with a laser (full scale) from a model or toy. It was on kitcar.com. I dont remember the guys name (maybe some one else remembers) but it would be cheaper than renting an exotic for a few weeks.

This has been discussed before with advice given from some of the manufacturers about techniques, I cant find the thread at the moment though!

If you really are serious about this, buy some fibreglass & all the stuff you will need & do it on your everyday car. Realistically it will only use a few hundeds worth of glass & resin but will give you all the practice you need & give you an idea of time required. Oh & if you arent prepared to cover your car with gunk then should you really be doing it on a hire car?

3d foam cutting is good, but you have to be really skilled to do all the finishing work to get it good enough to mould from. To do it digitally the only truly accurate way is to get the car laser scanned which will take no more than 1 day. Then get it cnc machined out of resin in a negative ready for direct final panels to be pulled from. I priced this up & you are looking at the best part of 20k UKP.

A 2 week hire (minimum really to mould properly) is going to set you back almost 25k based on the prices they give (all prices are subject to 10% tax & friday to sunday are a higher rate)

The most cost effective way is to actually buy the car, mould from it, then sell it on. Getting the backing for this though is somewhat more difficult! Resale shouldnt be a problem if you take say a 10k hit on the resale price.
    308 GTB Fiero - Complete<br />355 Extreme MR2 - 1st Primer coat on<br />406 Coupe - Daily driver, soon to be Extreme 360<br />(Disclaimer - Any timescales mentioned in the above message are totally guessed &amp; will be subject to &#39;man maths&#39; excuses for why it wasnt finshed on time)

thanks

yeah theres a LOT of work required for someone to make molds off a car.

http://www.hotrodder.com/32Blowpar/page10.html

That site is very detailed. I'm going to start practicing on some foam from work on making a few parts.

who loves video learning!

I was on youtube and found a guy that diminstrates all sorts of techniques and tips. He is awesome, from telling you what tools to use to showing the process.

Here is how to make a fiberglass saw blade replacement that saves a lot of money!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoXWztxKBJI

How to make a mold.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSfftRVKwYY

search his videos on there, he is very smart and nice to show us!