Thread: Removing shifter from Base

Removing shifter from Base

Konigtr;

I put this in a new thread so I did not hijack the build thread the question came from.

I happened to have a spare shifter I just uncovered the other day so I can show you how to take the shifter off. You will see the shifter sitting on the base in the first pic and I have laid the retaining clip on top of the shaft that the shifter rotates on. The clip normally sits on the end of the base shaft to hold the shifter on.

All you need to do is get a small screwdriver and pry that clip up and off the shaft. There will also be two small clips down on the bottom of the shifter that hold the shift cables on to the shifter. Take those off as well and slide the shifter right off the base.

The second pic shows the shifter and clip off the base and what the base will look like.

The base may look very slightly different on your car as the 4 and 5 speed shifter bases are different and I can't remember what one that base is from.

Very easy to do. Make sure you keep hold of the retaining clip when you are taking it off though or you can lose it down the side of the base and have to pull a bunch of stuff out to get it again. ;D

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Removing shifter from Base

Don,

Thank you very much for the step by step picture instruction. I have one question: If I only want to remove the shifter rod, do I still have to remove the other two clips that holds the shifter cables? By looking at the picture, there is only one clip holding the shifter rod...
    Thanks
    Andrew

Re: Removing shifter from Base

Yes you do.

To remove the shifter, you have to remove all three as the shifter rod is all one piece so the lower section that has the clips for the cables are all in one.

When you go to cut the shifter rod to shorten it, you will see the welds that hold everything together.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV