Thread: Accelerator Sticking - How Do I Fix It?

Accelerator Sticking - How Do I Fix It?

My accelerator just started sticking for 1-2 seconds when I push it all the way to the floor. I can feel that the pedal is staying down and then it pops up a moment later. The car is a 1985 Feiro GT with a 350 installed.

Can the pedal-area be cleaned up (ie WD-40) or is the root of the problem elsewhere?

Any advice is much appreciated!
    1985 Ferrari 328GTB Replica with SBC 350

Re: Accelerator Sticking - How Do I Fix It?

Quote Originally Posted by ksteak
    My accelerator just started sticking for 1-2 seconds when I push it all the way to the floor. I can feel that the pedal is staying down and then it pops up a moment later. The car is a 1985 Feiro GT with a 350 installed.

Can the pedal-area be cleaned up (ie WD-40) or is the root of the problem elsewhere?

Any advice is much appreciated!
    Of course you can use WD-40 or any type of lube to lubricate the cable but it's best to find out why it's sticking - it's probably the cable getting caught up somewhere or it's getting pinched in the tunnel....look in the engine compartment and on top of your engine for free opearation....as you know it can be dangerous to drive around with a sticking gas pedal so don't ignore the issue...

Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Thanks Goyal99! Yeah, it did freak me out a little this morning when the car kept going on it's own! At least it's a stick so worst-case, I can jump on the clutch if I need to. That said, I will definitely take a look at the cable and pedal to see what's up! THANKS!
    1985 Ferrari 328GTB Replica with SBC 350

I would check the carpet next to the gas pedel, cable for kinks or starting to go away. Then where the cable attaches to the 350. Could be a spring, vacuum secondaries not closing etc. Remember Adam Petty, he hit the wall with a problem like yours.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I had the exact same problem with my Countach replica. '84 Fiero chassis and a 350SBC. Problem seems to have straightened itself out, but it was annoying there for a while. I'm going to take a lot closer look at the car this winter and get the little issues done for spring!
    Meddle not with the affairs of the Dragon, for you are crunchy... and taste good with ketchup.<br />http://www.rc-sub.com/resources/grap...ni/avatar2.jpg