Thread: 355 flying buttress....SHAPE?

355 flying buttress....SHAPE?

anybody got any opinions on the shape of the flying buttresses on the back of a 355...some kits have the buttresses bowing outwords
    as they slope down to the quarter panels ....should these not be straight comming from the rear window down to the top of the quarter
    panels.................also anybody got any suggestions on a rear winscreen apart from mr2, is polycarbonate the only way to go if i want
    get a more genuine look?

Re: 355 flying buttress....SHAPE?

Quote Originally Posted by kitmanic
    anybody got any opinions on the shape of the flying buttresses on the back of a 355...some kits have the buttresses bowing outwords
    as they slope down to the quarter panels ....should these not be straight comming from the rear window down to the top of the quarter
    panels.................also anybody got any suggestions on a rear winscreen apart from mr2, is polycarbonate the only way to go if i want
    get a more genuine look?
    The real 355 has a straight buttress or "C" post. Look at a 355 Berlinetta and a Mirage kit. John Watson's car was designed to use a Toyota rear glass and the "C" post was modified to fit this glass.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

cheers dave,

the back of my build has been bothering me all week,..........the "C" posts on my kit are bannana shaped,........have spent all day 2day modifying the
    passenger side c post to straight lines....probably spend all day tomorrow aswell just bringing it to a near finished state.....only problem i can still see is the rear winscreen............. no matter how i look at any 355 replica with an mr2 rear screen the proporations of the rear of the car just look all wrong...... ???......................decisions decisions decisions...two months ago i seen no problem.......so much for an easy build!!!!!!!!!!!!..............the deeper i get into this build the more particular iam getting......with bending plexiglass i have reservations.......will it hold its shape long term????? as for scratch marks will i have to clear coat it before installation....any opinions dave.

just a quik note on where i am at the moment with the build.....full mock up complete......engine cover modified to something very similar to funnywheels pics u send me, door scoops enlarged, handles fitted, reversed bonnet opening started..metal bonnet subframe complete, mirrors modifyied to full swing action , plus a ton of work on the rear to replicate original look..................

as a newbie i would send a message to anybody just browsing the site....get a kit...start build a replica...deffo recommend.....

***************does anybody know where i can get a replica dash for an mr2 conversion....door cards as well????????************

My old Mirage (red car) used Plexiglas for the rear window. I used a $20 heat gun from Home Depot to curve it to the body. To get the initial shape I cut poster board. It never showed any scratches or cracks in 4 years so I think you can rest assured that it will work. Universal window molding was used to attach it to the Mirage.

The challenge with the mr2 is the window is too wide and too tall. John Watson liked it because it was a factory glass someone could find in a salvage yard to use with his kits. The Fiero light house is 2 inches too tall to begin with but he made it work. I think the glass needs to be tinted and the painted fiberglass on the "C" post blacked out to a point to resemble the shape of the 355 glass.

When you flatten out the "C" post are you cutting the fiberglass out and installing a flat panel in its place or just adding bondo?

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

cut the "C" post out completly, then split the post in have down the bananna curve............attached the inner panel to a jig to pull the panel straight and laminated fibre glass across the back while adding the new top of the "c" post. Then the outside panel of the "C" post was reshaped in the same way.... and removed the bananna top curve....tempory joined the two back together and trial fitted ............today will permanantly laminated the panels together and refit to the car.....going to have to fibreglass the outside of all the joins aswell............much better looking even as it stands now..............just have to figure out wot iam going to do with this rear winscreen