Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power steering ????

Power steering ????

Ok so whats the deal with the power steering? I've read on other forums that its just not worth it, others claim it sooooo worth doing it.

So what gives, West Coast Fiero sales a kit for almost $700 (kinda steep) for a steering rack and no pump!! I've also read, (Maybe it was here) that a chevelle rack will work with a firebird pump?? or something like that.

Anybody got any opinions or first hand knowledge on this upgrade? Maybe a bone yard partslist that will keep it under $700 bills .... way under $700 bills!!!!

Re: Power steering ????

Quote Originally Posted by rayvenrob
    Ok so whats the deal with the power steering? I've read on other forums that its just not worth it, others claim it sooooo worth doing it.

So what gives, West Coast Fiero sales a kit for almost $700 (kinda steep) for a steering rack and no pump!! I've also read, (Maybe it was here) that a chevelle rack will work with a firebird pump?? or something like that.

Anybody got any opinions or first hand knowledge on this upgrade? Maybe a bone yard partslist that will keep it under $700 bills .... way under $700 bills!!!!
    Not worth the trouble. GM made an electric unit for the Fiero. The production was on about 50 cars in 1988 so they could sell more cars to women drivers. I have a 355 rebody with fat Ferrari rims and tires. I have no problems without power steering.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Hey Funny,

My fiero has 215/60/14 and its a pain in the butt to turn, ok maybe its not that bad and I'm used to driving my sissy la la mitsubishi galant.

I love the turning radius, lock to lock is like WOW!!! however I think I would love it more if I could flip a U-turn with one finger. Call me a sissy but I'm seriosly thinking about doing the conversion .... the engine is gonna be out soon anyway!! I don't know?!?!? ask me in a week after I've driven the car for a while.

So does the steering get more of less painful when you alter the suspension? maybe lowering it with coilovers or cut springs or whatever. I know a ton of you guys are gonna say "Don't ever cut your springs!!!" Some guys say cut one coil off and others say but lowering springs.

I tried the cut spring stuff in 1998. It made the ride very unstable. I then switched to a complete Slalom Suspension set up from Held. It cost about 10K to do it but the car handles like it is on rails.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

One of the kit car magazines did a wite up on installing PS into the fiero. I believe they used a chevette ps rack and a pair of extention sleeves in between the tire rods. I am not sure which PS pump they used or how it was mounted. Maybe someone has a copy of the old article?? From what I remember, it wasnt all that difficult to do.

I have a 1988 GT as a daily driver, and love it, actually enjoy the feel of mechanical steering. I can sense what is going on with tire contact much better. For the lowering, Rodney Dickman sells longer lower ball joints for the front for the 84-87, and now offers the same for the 1988. That'll get you 1.5" closer to the weeds. For the rear, a number of people on Pennocks ( www.fiero.nl ) have used coilover kits for the honda civic aquired inexpensively on ebay. they include top hat/STIFF springs/threaded sleeve/adjuster/jam nut, set of four for about 30 bucks. I have this combo on my 1985 GT and love it, stiff ride and correct stance with 18" wheels.

I did power steering on one of my 355s I used a rack from a last gen Camaro from Auto Zone cost me 130 bucks the threads on the camaro rack is the same as the Fiero tie rod ends and the Fiero steering shaft will bolt right up to the camaro one. the car had a 3800SC in it so I used the pump that was on it. I also always cut my stock springs and never tell a difference in the ride but it looks better lower so I do all my Fieros with one coil cut in back and one coil and 1/2 " cut in front it works great for me. One a Fiero I would not go to the trouble of doing another power steering again just like I will never do another Fiero convertible but some swear by it so if you want it go for it I think I had about 150 bucks total in my power steering set up. You will have to shorten the rods on the camaro rack and re thread some of it. I bought two dies and still have them if you want I can get you the number for them.
    www.kikkerbikes.com

Ok, so work with me here:

are the 3800 and the V6 similar enough that I could use the power steering bracket form the 3800 to the V6?? you see where Im going with this?

Run the lines, hook up the new rack bla bla bla

F333spider,

What was that part number for that steering rack that you got from Autozone or what year was the camaro it was intended for?

Quote Originally Posted by FunnyWheels
    Not worth the trouble. GM made an electric unit for the Fiero. The production was on about 50 cars in 1988 so they could sell more cars to women drivers. I have a 355 rebody with fat Ferrari rims and tires. I have no problems without power steering.
    I SO disagree with you there Dave! Power Steering in my Koenig has been one of the best installs in my auto. I was tired of the 'arm-strong' steering with fat tires, makes it so much easier parking etc...! I used a Dakota rack.
    Here is my build thread!
    best,
    Sandy
    http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/A...-2-060145.html