Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom axles, DIY?

Custom axles, DIY?

I was searching the forum for a topic of custom length axles. I seem to remember there was a site that broke down different models of cars for axle length, so if you had something close, you could buy off-the-shelf axles. I have a 4L60 I need to get some axles for, and locally, they want close to $800 for the pair.

Re: Custom axles, DIY?

I don't have it bookmarked but I think there is a thread over at Pennocks fourm regarding which axles "interchange" and what "parts" can be combined to achieve different lengths.

http://www.Fiero.nl
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Nice work, thanks for the tip, it wasn't too hard to find, all the information on CV axles I would ever need. Thanks again.

post the direct link here

Sorry guys, got lost in the mounds of information I found here. What a wealth of info on axles this is. Would be usable if you don't have a wide-track suspension and was using wheel spacers, as I still need to get a custom axle made because I have long control arms on the rear of my car. Heres the info:
    http://interparts.com/download.htm Eric

Not sure where you are but I got a set of custom length axles built for me by a fellow in Sudbury Ontario. I only paid around $475.00 if I remember correctly.

I bought his stage I axles guaranteed up to 400 hp. I gave him my lengths from trans face to hub face and he came up with a really nice set. He did say that I really should put an intermediate shaft in on my setup on the passenger side as the length was at the limit but I told him that I only had a 125-150 hp V6 so I would have trouble ripping stuff up with that. Now that I am going to put in a 3.4 ODHC with 215, hp, I planned on giving him, a call back and see if that will still do it.

His stage II's go up to some incredible number of hp.

I had a quick look though my records and the bill did not jimp out at me but if you want, I can look through them again later to get his address and web site for contact info.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

That would be great, Don. Last axle I purchased was locally from a drive axle shop cost me $425, so getting 2 for the price of 1 would definately be a +! Eric

There is a custom drive shaft and axle fabricator in the Clearwater, Florida area that made my axles for me. PST, I think was name. They have Fiero Center splined CV hubs to hook to the Getrag and S-10 External splined shafts since I am using the larger S-10 4X4 hubs and CV joints. They have been in there since 1998 and have lasted through two different engines. A stock Fiero V6 and my 3800 Buick. I had them trimmed one inch with the new antis bump steering suspension. He make drive shafts for plenty of drag races, even has one out of carbon fiber that is stronger than the steel one. The New axles were sleaved with chrome-moly tubing, press fit, welded then put through a Cryogenic Process.

The Cryogenic Process

The Cryogenic Process is capable of dramatically improving the performance characteristics of a wide variety of materials, such as ferrous and non-ferrous metals, alloys, carbides, plastics (including Nylon and Polymers) and ceramics. The entire process takes between 12 and 24 hours depending on the application and the results being sought.

The Cryogenic Process is not a surface treatment. It effects the entire mass of the component being treated, making it stronger throughout and dramatically reducing wear. This means that the process keeps working for the life of the component rather than ceasing to be effective after the surface is worn or otherwise damaged. The hardness of the material treated is unaffected so there is actually less tendency to crack or chip while its strength and durability is increased. Their state-of-the-art cryogenic systems use a computer that duplicates the optimal thermal curve. It precisely regulates the temperature change and brings an absolute consistency not available in any other tempering process.

Here is their link http://www.pstds.com/index.htm

Attached Images Attached Images    
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I tried this very same thing with my F512TR. I had heavy wall sleeves, and the shafts pressed into the sleeves, then welded, like the ones you show. Over the years, I snapped them both, one repairing it many times, and then snapped the other, usually under a high-horsepower showoff situation that resulted in making me look foolish :'(. I have much less HP in my new car, and an auto trans, but will never trust sectioning and welding a critical part like axles again. That too, will put your car on a flatbed out in the middle of no-where usually. Eric

about the axles... Sleeves lasted quite a while on my car, until I had to pay for flatbed towing. Did you drill holes and plug weld the sleeves? This might solve the problem I had, snapping the axles at the weld. I had good penetration on the sleeve and the axle, and my welds looked like yours. Wrecking yard axles are cheap and I was initially drawn to them because of cost savings, maybe a different strategy is worth a try. Eric