Thread: Where to buy kit car?

Where to buy kit car?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the kit car scene.
    Where is a good place to look at buying a turn-key or almost completed car?
    Thanks for any help,
    Shawn

Re: Where to buy kit car?

Quote Originally Posted by First VR4
    Thanks for any help,
    Shawn
    Your best bet for a CHEAP almost-complete or never-started kit is eBay...plenty of good deals. just be patient and keep your options open.

There are some turn-key replicars also but ALL OF THEM are overpriced on eBay...It also depends what kind of turn-key you are looking for. You need to define your needs a little better!

VK
    Life is too short to be driving Hondas!

Every few years I do a new build for myself on a kit car. I usually sell my current kit car on e-bay. People get great deals from me there because I put premium features on the cars and do all the work myself. I enjoy driving the cars so I don't try to recoup all of my labor costs. It's a "win, win" for me and the buyer since the cars sell quickly so I can move on to the next project. There are some good deals there and obviously some crappy poorly finished and unfinished projects as well. Since most kits are more "exotic" than a production car it would be in your best interest to personally check out the car before bidding or if it's just physically impossible to do that have a company like Carchex do a physical inspection and give you a report on it's condition. I've had those reports done on my wife's Jaguar and a convertible I picked up for my daughter. They saved me many thousands of dollars by letting me negotiate a better price with the owner for the "problems" that weren't mentioned. If you decide to buy a turn-key directly from a manufacturer I would go see his operations and negotiate payments with the company as the car is built. Never pre-pay for the whole project and try to deal with companies that are established in the kit car community.

If you are interested in a F308 rebody I may be able to help you wrt a finished conversion. If you want other types of vhicles I may also know where to get a couple of good ones.

Thanks for any help,
    Shawn

I have also seen some very good kits are Craig's list.

I bought my first kit back in 94 by joining the local kit car club (NCKCC) and found someone who was selling the kit I was looking for.

man I wish locations were required under peoples' names. IF you're in the United States AND IF you're near florida, you might keep an eye on Bob's Classics

http://www.bobsclassics.com/whatsin.htm

Buying a turn-key is THE most expensive way to go and, from what guys are asking, you'll end up spending as much or MORE than you can get a nice production car for. I've seen turn-key lambo REPLICAs listed at prices you could almost buy a used (REAL) Ferrari Testarossa for (and certainly 328s, NSXs, and XKRs with money left over).

Buying a used kitcar (or project) is like marrying someone's ex-wife - you' re gonna get problems that someone else didn't wanna deal with

Thanks for any help,
    Shawn
    What type of car are you looking for? How much do you want to spend? Where are you located?
    Without talent experience is worthless