Thread: IR Camera in kitcar

IR Camera in kitcar

Ok, this is a bit of a daydream for me but I have seen that the new Merc S class has many cool toys; massaging seat, intelligent cruise control and intelligent braking (it breaks with the least amount of discomfort for the occupants by judging the distance etc) but what I thought I could include is the night vision screen it turns the speedometer into in the dark. My wife managed to 'bag' a deer a few months ago (they leave a HUGE dent believe me!) and like the idea of being able to see as much as possible now on the road.

I'm thinking of putting a DVD / screen based music system into my DNA (double DIN space in the MRS) and like the idea of adding a pod on the dash as a screen. I've never done this before but I'm guessing that these monitors have multiple inputs to take something from say a reversing camera etc.

I've looked on fleabay and seen that there are quite a number of IR cameras available with inbuilt IR LEDs for cheap (some under $100) and some also seem to be 12v. Most of the fleabay cameras tend to be security cameras though (the cheap ones)

Anyone know how these things work or rather what to look for and what sort of image I can expect? Two things worry me, the image fed in - will the LEDs really be able to see more than my headlights? and will the camera be able to capture a big enough depth of field so I don't just end up with lots of blur (I guess I'm worried about the focal length).

Got any pointers on this daydream? :P

Re: IR Camera in kitcar

You will find that most of the IR cameras are only good for 15 or at best 30 feet. Let's not pretend that your reaction times are that good, let alone could you stop or turn the car. You will also have that not looking forward thing.

I have found blind spot and rear view cameras to be useful.

I wasn't thinking of just using it on its own, more a supplementary view.
    It might still show up animals / people etc on the side of the road that headlights don't always spot. 30 feet may not be that bad.
    I wonder if there is any way fo finding the specs on the Merc camera?
    Think I will contact a couple of retailers and see what they think.
    Thanks

if you are thinking of going the IR camera route I would sugest getting getting more expensive one. Also there are 2 types od sensors CCD and CMOS, stay away from CMOS though lately they are getting better. IF you get something of better quality you can get close to if not more to 50 feet, however those IR LED in them are way to small so i would suplement the built in LED with in the camera with external ones. You can find multi chip IR LEDs that have 4 or 5 times the power and the camera can see it further out.

Thanks rookie - that's the sort of info and advice I was hoping for!
    I'm waiting to hear back from a supplier of IR cameras and will post anything that comes out of interest.

If you know of a good blind spot camera I woud be very interested. It is difficult for my wife to drive the Meras because of the small rear window and side louvers. A good blind spot camera would solve this issue for me and make it easier to take two cars to shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Brastic
    You will find that most of the IR cameras are only good for 15 or at best 30 feet. Let's not pretend that your reaction times are that good, let alone could you stop or turn the car. You will also have that not looking forward thing.

I have found blind spot and rear view cameras to be useful.
    Nelson