Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally.... REAL Vents on my 308

Finally.... REAL Vents on my 308

Well,

Several times in the past I've been known to "voice my opinion" on my dissatisfaction regarding a few items on my 308 replica. Other 308, 328 and 512 BBi owner have mentioned similar concerns.

Even though my Custom Coach Craft replica, like the MERA and similar replicas, isn't a dead ringer for a real 308, I've been happy with it. In fact, I've been happy enough to have built 2 of them and have owned a total of 3 of these cars. There is something (at least to me) that's kind of Old School with this particular replica. Maybe it's because I was just out of High School when I saw my first kit car magazine with a 308 replica on the cover.

Anyhow... Back to the present.

I never liked a few things about these cars and this year I've decided to do something about it.

1. The fake Hood Vent
    2. The fake Headlight Vents
    3. The fake "Sail Panel" Louvers
    4. The stock fiero door glass (with no vent window)

We all know that things like the look of the front hood area , rear window, roof line, rear hatch area, windshield rake as well as the other common items are not accurate on our cars. But unless you are a pretty educated Ferrari Diehard, it's hard to pick up on those.

The fake vents on the other hand are really a dead give-away to me, so for my first project, this is what I've come up with.

After trying to buy, fabricate, fiberglass, find at Home Depot, steal....etc certain materials for the hood vent material, I finally decided to speak to a metal fabrication shop that I do business with. (I'm a Commercial Real Estate Developer). Often we need specialized metal "items" for A/C systems, Roof Mounts, Materials to fit-out the space for a certain client, structural steel etc. I thought "why not see if Doug has any ideas.

My first step was to go look at (and eventually borrow) a Ferrari 308 hood vent and headlight vent. I've take several pics over the years but it's just too hard to explain to someone what I wanted.

The first thing to note is that the Hood vent on the replica 308's and 328's and 512bbi / Corson replicas (I think) are not as wide as an original vent. Although I could have very easily cut my hood open more, I think the ratio of the replica fake vent compared to the overall hood dimensions looks ok. I feel that if the vent is larger (like the original vent) it would make the hood area look even "more incorrect" than it already is. That's just me.

This pics below are my 308 which I'm about to destroy...... ummmm "modify" and a real 308 hood vent up close as well as a closeup pic of the nose of my car in the next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Re: Finally.... REAL Vents on my 308

The Nose of my Car:

Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

I like it Brian.. Looks even better than the real deal.. More pictures.. ;D

--Mark

I began by cutting my hood. (Which was very nerve racking since my paint is in nice shape).

Thanks Mark.

I was going to PM you after I upload the pics. Every other post, I get some error so I have to post 1 at a time and make sure I copy my text so I don't loose it.

The first pic is a real 308 vent and the 2nd one is my car with the fake vent.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

After cutting the hood (Wheeeeeeeew! I'm glad that's over...) The hood opening aligns just behind the radiator and fan.... but still plenty of room before the weatherstrip for the area where the spare tire is so that will stay nice and dry.

It would be ideal if the hood vent was back just a tiny bit (or the radiator was forward a bit). I think airflow would be a bit smoother from the grille area through the radiator and then through the hood vent but I think I should see a bit more airflow (especially since my V8 is on the cradle now) and I think the reduction of pressure will keep my headlight covers from floating up at higher speeds.

-more to come-

If you notice in the first pic (the real 308 vent), the original hood "bends down" and the first "slat" / vent is actually incorporated into the hood metal. It's not actually a vent at all on the real car.

This worked out well since our replicas are fiberglass, cutting right up into the flat area of the hood would leave an unfinished line. (and on a painted car, it's a bit more work). I decided to construct my vent like the OEM vent and use 3 "slats". I left the 4th / top portion of my replica hood in tact. It made for a nice transition and since I'm going to paint the vent black anyway, I have a nice groove in the fiberglass to start the black paint.

I also was trying a few ideas for a mesh under the vent to keep out large debris. It would look ok after it's painted black but since the real cars don't seem to have any (unless owners remove it), I may not even use it. I added a pic just for the heck of it. I do have a similar mesh under my engine vents and you really can't tell it's there. It certainly looks very BAD in shiny metal that's for sure.

See below:

next up, I had to mock up the new aluminum stock that I had made with the old fake vent to get an idea of spacing:

I then needed to make some aluminum mounting angles for a test fit. (first out of thin aluminum coil stock and then out of 1/8" aluminum angle stock).

Next,

I was ready for my first test fit.

Keep in mind that these are just sitting inside the open area. Nothing is even aligned but they still look great. (In fact, they look so much better in person than they do in the pics. I guess it's the lighting in the garage.

They need to be aligned front to rear so that the space in between each louver is the same. They need to also "overlap" properly for lack of a better word.

** Also, the factory hood vent has a center support piece that the vents "sit in". Even though my material is heavy aluminum stock, and not a large as the real vent, I will be adding a center support to keep things nice and straight. **

After everything is aligned, I can attach to the side mounting points (which I have to rework so I can make them a bit longer - toward the first fiberglass vent in the hood).

ALSO keep in mind that the pics do not show my 3rd vent. I'm only working with 2 for now. A 3rd vent will obviously fill the bottom open area.